FlyI's Airbuses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ward

How many Airbuses does Independence Air operate?

AW&ST reporting Virgin America buying 18 A320-family aircraft from Airbus and leasing 15 from GECAS.

--Ward

Just noticed it's FLYi, not FlyI (according the Annual Report). Meant no disrespect.

Last edited:
Ward said:
How many Airbuses does Independence Air operate?

AW&ST reporting Virgin America buying 18 A320-family aircraft from Airbus and leasing 15 from GECAS.

--Ward

Just noticed it's FLYi, not FlyI (according the Annual Report). Meant no disrespect.

I read that Virgin would want to start with brand new A320s - not Flyi's A319s.

On Your Six said:
I read that Virgin would want to start with brand new A320s - not Flyi's A319s.

Ah, very good point.

I haven't looked (and perhaps I should have before posting), but I thought perhaps the 319 would still be part of the "320-family."

--Ward

FLYI is running I believe 12 A319's right now. They did have one down for awhile after they knocked off a wingtip off one of them and they waited for a replacement wingtip, but alas that crap happens everywhere.

The 319 is the same family as the 320. The 318/319/320/321 are all the same family of aircraft. VA may try to make a grab at the aircraft or at least the delivery slots of the future as they can be adjusted to the 320 if that is what they want. FLYI does alot of things wrong but they have some of the absolute LOWEST lease rates on the airbus right now. We are talking 15% less than the competition, they were at the right place at the right time and got a heck of a deal. So anyway they have some tasty delivery slots available for a low price right now.

Airbus would adjust the price for today's rate if VA took the delivery slots. I don't think they would get the good price but the delivery dates are a plus.

I believe that Virgin America also ordered their A320 family acft with the CFM engines. IDE runs the V2500s. This engine mix would cost more in parts, training etc....

Latest resources

Back