Flying with diabetes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Check out http://diabetesworldflight.com/

I had the opportunity to do some flying and drinking with Doug when he was doing all his prep work back in Council Bluffs. His webpage would have alot of info on the subject.

Dispatch guy,

First of all that is discrimination, American with Disabilities act prevents that and it is enforced in the courts. I have a special issuance First class medical for type II Diabetes since 1998. I have been a flight instructor while a diabetic, been a corporate pilot while a diabebtic, been a cargo pilot while a diabetic, and been an airline pilot while a diabetic. I have interviewed at 5 airlines, and not one did they ever ask why my medical was a special issuance first class, I worked at a large well regarded regional airline and I was never asked by anyone what it was for, and I never told or made mention of it. The airlines, like many large companies have to walk a prickly path with these issue. If they ask in an interview and you tell them, and now you dont get the job, what are you going to think, I would assume the same thing.

Dont get me wrong, many times I almost gave in to that line of thinking and gave up, but the more I pushed the boundries of what I thought I could do I found I could do much more. I will admit, flying for the airlines was the largest Diabetic challenge I have ever faced! Long days, way too much terminal food and many odd hours. A diabetic can get the job, but keeping it is the challenge. At a major airline, maybe it isnt as bad, but the regionals work ya hard when your a junior FO, and it is hard to manage diabetes in that enviroment. I have since been offered a job in corporate with less flying, more money and more days off, and it has helped greatly.

OK...my rant is over...........ahh I feel better now

citdrver said:
Dispatch guy,

First of all that is discrimination, American with Disabilities act prevents that and it is enforced in the courts.

I asked the same thing - his answer, and he showed me something from their MEC legal eagle, is that the fundamental job qualification could be compromised, so the discrimination was ok.

I have both NIDDM and relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis (not just one disease trying to kill me, but now two). Sometimes you just gotta find something else to do.

Latest resources

Back