Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aucfi

Endowed Member
I might be flying to the Bahamas before the end of the month. Ive never flown there or crossed the ADIZ before. I'll be IFR in a 310. Are there any considerations besides the obvious over water operations I should know about? Thanks in advance.

That is going to be a nice trip. Remember VFR at night is not permitted in the Bahamas, and before entering the ADIZ on your way back you need permission from ATC (Miami Center). Needless to say that you will have to clear customs in both countries, That is Freeport or Nassau in the Bahamas. People are nice and the food is great. I made a landing at sandy point (MYAS), a strip pritty much on the beach, so don't forget your swim suit and camera. There is not much more to worry about.

Have fun!

Pink Panther said:
That is going to be a nice trip. Remember VFR at night is not permitted in the Bahamas, and before entering the ADIZ on your way back you need permission from ATC (Miami Center). Needless to say that you will have to clear customs in both countries, That is Freeport or Nassau in the Bahamas. People are nice and the food is great. I made a landing at sandy point (MYAS), a strip pritty much on the beach, so don't forget your swim suit and camera. There is not much more to worry about.

Have fun!

Customs at MYBS also last time I went!

Pink Panther said:
Needless to say that you will have to clear customs in both countries, That is Freeport or Nassau in the Bahamas. People are nice and the food is great.

Have fun!

I don't know where you will be leaving from but many pilot shops in the east coast sell the Bahamas Guide and it's a handy book to have. You don't have to clear customs in Nassau or Freeport. Many of the other islands are Ports of Entry and you can clear customs there. The guide gives you the hours of operation for customs. If you do clear at an airport that is not your final dest ou will need a permit to proceed. There are some regs you need to know and the guide explains it clearly.
People are really friendly to pilots and there are discounts everywhere for private pilots. Again, consult the guide..

get the guide and read it. It's probably the best information out there.

All of our company planes carry them because it has so much information and is really good.

Can't say enough about the book. The runway info is really a good thing to have.

Bahamas has numerous airports of entry with customs & immigration eg Freeport & Nassau (of course) plus Marsh Harbour, Treasure Cay, Spanish Cay, Bimini, Chub Cay, Andros North, Andros Town/Fresh Creek, North Eleuthera, Great Exuma etc etc

A few have an FBO. If you're flying into one that does I recommend you use it. It's well worth the twenty bucks or so for the one-stop much reduced hassle dealing with customs & with immigration. You'll also be able to pay by credit card at an FBO, otherwise it's cash only for customs & for immigration.

Generalities:

It's the pilot's responsibility to make sure US C & I are notified at least 1 hr prior to your inbound ETA at your airport of entry.

Only Freeport & Nassau are towered. Nassau has radar, Freeport is procedural. All the others use 122.8. Most of them *don't* have parallel taxiways so backtracking is the norm as is using opposite departure/arrival runways (wind permitting). Broadcast your intentions. A lot.

Radio terminology is similar enough to US procedures that you shouldn't have trouble. A few differences eg 'Line up & wait', not 'Position & hold'; 'Runway zero niner' not 'Runway niner' etc.

If you can, submit your return plan into the USA before departure (plans accepted up to 23 hrs prior to ETD). Ph Miami 1 866 347 0316 or +1 305 233 2600. It can be a pain in the arse trying to do it from customs/immigration in the Bahamas. OK if you're at an FBO there. Your return plan will need to be either IFR or DVFR. If DVFR make damn sure you activate it & get a customs TXDR code prior to crossing the ADIZ. If IFR you'll be transferred to Miami in the normal way if departing from Freeport or Nassau, otherwise call them directly with your position/altitude, departure time & IFR request.

Except at FBOs you will have to deal separately with customs and with immigration. Even if they're in the same room at adjacent tables. It seems they're often incapable of handing paperwork between themselves.

Avoid arriving or departing before 0900 & after about 1700 or 1800 to avoid overtime fees from customs AND again from immigration. Weekends & public holidays also attract o'time fees. Some places even charge double fees if you arrive/depart in the overtime hours *and* on a weekend.

If you're flying into a non-customs airfield you'll need to clear customs in & out of the Bahamas at a customs field & complete a 'transire' form in duplicate before you can depart on your domestic leg.

Specific fields.

If flying into Freeport you will need to submit an arrival report & a Bahamian flight plan form for departure to the Flight Service person behind the glass screen next to C & I. Weather is available in the portable building next door.

At Nassau hand it to one of the FBO front counter people & they'll submit it. Nassau FBOs have a radio in their briefing rooms to call ACD for a clearance. It can take up to 30 mins or more to get it so better to call for the clearance indoors then board rather than board & wait in a hot aeroplane for it. BTW, Nassau ATC is useless as tits on a bull so expect delays & inefficient handling.

It can be quicker at Nassau to use the FBO on the terminal side of the runways (Jet Centre? Can't remember) although I think Millionaire is a bit nicer. Millionaire is stuck in a corner on the other side of the runway complex & often has traffic jams in & out of the ramp.

Marsh Harbour has an FBO called Cherokee Air. Well & truly worth the relatively few extra dollars to go there & avoid the zoo at the terminal building at the East ramp. Cherokee's ramp is about half way down the runway which conveniently avoids backtracking the full length of the runway if you need to take-off using 09.

Treasure Cay has no FBO so you're stuck with C&I. A couple of the C & I ladies there are really nice to deal with. People tend to land using 14 & take off using 32 to avoid lots of backtracking.

Spanish Cay is a private island but if you're taking people in there then no worries. They have their own C & I lady. Sometimes she's in her sub-office on the field, other times it's her main office at the marina. Fly over the marina usually gets someone's attention to come and get you in a golf cart. Watch the runway carefully, it's used as a road by the golf carts.

Chub Cay's C & I person is often not in his/her office. Fly over the marina & s/he'll come out when they can. Most I've waited is 45 mins.

Bimini, Andros North/San Andros) & Andros Town/Fresh Creak have no great surprises other than the backtracking thing.

North Eleuthra has an FBO (from memory. I know there's one down there somewhere because I've used it. Just can't remember exactly where.... )

Paperwork:

You'll need 3 copies of your General Declaration (GenDec) with your pax names & DOBs for both directions. Prior to departing the Bahamas you'll hand the return ones to Bahamas Customs to be cleared out. ***Make sure you get one stamped copy back!*** You'll need this one to hand in to US customs.

Each pax will need to complete Bahamian Customs cards (a white card) for arrival into that country. They're available when you get there but they prefer you have some already.

Each family (same surname) at the same residence will need to complete a US customs form (a blue card) for entry back into the US. A crewmember need only complete a 'Crew Declaration'. If you don't have one then a US blue card works too. Just a bit more to fill out for the crewmember. They're available online for printing at the US customes website. I think they used to be available at the NBAA's website too.

A 'transire' is a form used in the Bahamas to declare any freight or cargo you're transporting between islands. It's to do with their taxes & duties. If you don't have any cargo you'll still need to complete it in duplicate but state on it that there's no cargo.

The crew must have his/her pilot's licence * medical ***as well as*** an FCC restricted radio operator licence. You can do the FCC one online at the FCC's website.

The aircraft must have its paperwork too. Radio licence etc.

There's probably other bits and pieces but that's what I remember of the top of my head.

Last edited:
South eluethra also has customs. The guy there is awesome. He has 3 hats, actuall hats. One that says customs, one that says police, and one that says something else. I forget right now, anyway the guy is cool. My biggest suggestion about the Bahamas is to bring lots of cash. Cash is king and it will expedite everything. Oh ya, have some fun. Fly over the water at 15 feet and look for lobster. Enjoy your trip. It's easier than you think once you do it a time or two. I love the Bahamas.

BUT WHY'S THE RUM GONE.

Oh ya fuel is not cheap over there

I'm going to the Bahamas (Port Lucaya, landing at Freeport) this Thursday. I'm looking forward to it but I'm kinda paranoid we will forget one simple little thing that gives us a bunch of trouble. No one mentioned a Customs sticker, and the maintenance officer in my flight club said I had to have one. The plane I am taking has it, but I have no idea what its for.

AOPA said the Bahamas does not require the radio license.

A big thing to remember is be very polite to the customs folks in the Bahamas. I have had them "require" different numbers of forms in the same place only a few days apart. I saw what happened to another pilot that lost his patience with this process once. It took me about 40 minutes to get myself the aircraft and passengers thru customs.(this time went down as I learned how they liked things to work). I was there after the other guy and my guess is gone long before he was. My advice is get lots of their forms and have an "extra" or two filled out just in case. After a couple of times you will have it down, and it will go very smooth.
Disclaimer... this was all 12 years ago, so maybe its all changed.

Latest resources

Back