Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyingFisherman said:
Use PBI or FLL.

I would steer clear of PBI.... Cleared inbound there a couple months ago and nearly got fined. Huge bunch of a$$holes working that place.

I ran into a problem when I went down to San Salvador once. We needed to buy fuel. We knew they had fuel there as we had been there before. The only thing though, on this trip when we arrived, they told us that no one had bought any fuel for a year and a half, so the fuel was probably contaminated, and besides the lady that had the key to the fuel pump was off the island for a week. If going to an out island, make sure you tanker fuel or call ahead, just to make sure. BTW, they also have customs there.

GrnClvrs said:
Make sure that you get the initials of the US Customs officer that you make your appointment for re-entry with.

Yup, just initials. They wont give your their name (if in MIA) as many of them are on the hit list for the drug cartels.

I always used Ft. Pierce when returning for customs, they were much more agreeable than PBI. Ft Pierce is also a much smaller airport so it is quicker in and out.

FXE (lauderdale executive) is a very common point of entry, now open late. File Notice of arrival with US customs at least 1 hour before arriving, make sure you arrive close to that time at the customs office. Make sure if you have to file an APIS (might be just for comml operators-135, I don't know), also an hour before arriving. Make sure everybody has a birth certificate or passport before leaving the US. Avoiding the big airports in the US and the Bahamas is a good way to avoid hefty landing fees. Call ahead for fuel, call ahead for customs at small Bahamian islands is a good idea too. Inter island you need a stamped transire. VFR interisland you need to file a flight plan, opening can be a pain, make sure you close them too. Coming back to the US file flight plan, either with Miami FSS (Bahamian airports have dedicated telephones for customs, flight cervice), or with the flight service office (Nassau, Freeport), open it and when VFR get customs squake code before entering ADIZ. IFR Miami center will issue you a squake for radar identification and customs. No fruit or vegetables back to the us. Frozen fish is OK. Customs might cut a few up to check for illegal stuff. Know limits on imports (tabacco, alcohol).
Get a US customs decal (sticker), plenty of general declarations (3 outbound, 3 inbound and the Bahamas flight guide (about $40.- a couple of years ago), plenty of cash. US dollar is one to one with Bahamian.
When arriving in the US every piece of baggage has to come out of the aircraft.
Have fun

Latest resources

Back