Flying to the Bahamas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kf4amu said:
I'm going to the Bahamas (Port Lucaya, landing at Freeport) this Thursday. I'm looking forward to it but I'm kinda paranoid we will forget one simple little thing that gives us a bunch of trouble. No one mentioned a Customs sticker, and the maintenance officer in my flight club said I had to have one. The plane I am taking has it, but I have no idea what its for.

AOPA said the Bahamas does not require the radio license.

The customs sticker is for US Customs, it is good for a year and yes you do need it.

Also Florida LOTTO tickets grease "the squeaking wheel" in the Bahamas...

Make sure that 310 doesnt have a pink slip registration for your way back to the good ole USA. Also, if your coming back through MIA, make sure you throw out your trash in the right barrell....otherwise it's gonna cost ya 5K. ....boy are they picky about that down there. What kind of passengers are you bringing back to the USA (as in non US citizens)??? That would be a factor in your paperwork and I-94 forms. Last but not least, someone might already have mentioned this, are you going part 91 or 135???? Makes a difference with customs.

Guitar rocker said:
Make sure that 310 doesnt have a pink slip registration for your way back to the good ole USA. Also, if your coming back through MIA, make sure you throw out your trash in the right barrell....otherwise it's gonna cost ya 5K. ....boy are they picky about that down there. What kind of passengers are you bringing back to the USA (as in non US citizens)??? That would be a factor in your paperwork and I-94 forms. Last but not least, someone might already have mentioned this, are you going part 91 or 135???? Makes a difference with customs.

I personally would not come through MIA and try OPF if before 4:30 pm. MIA Customs can be a real pain in the arse..... Even FLL would be good too..

Thank you all for the responses. The guys I am taking are in a Bonefishing club down there and cant decide when they all want to get together and go. As far as I know, they are all US citizens but I will check to be sure.

I hope they decide to go soon because I will not be able to take them after April 12th due to other obligations. Again, thanks for the responses.

au

dsee8driver said:
I personally would not come through MIA and try OPF if before 4:30 pm. MIA Customs can be a real pain in the arse..... Even FLL would be good too..

Couldnt agree more. MIA is an awful place to clear customs.......

I was in Exuma in January - WOW! The water was amazing! We cleared customs outbound and inbound at OPF, and that was pretty laid back. But do make sure to throw all your garbage in one bag, or better yet, get rid of it before re-entering the states. The people were great in Exuma. It was just a quick turn for us unfortunately, but as long as you have all your paperwork in order, and extra's just in case you should have no problem! Have fun! It is beautiful down there!

Calling customs

GrnClvrs said:
Make sure that you get the initials of the US Customs officer that you make your appointment for re-entry with.

Absolutely, You MUST call US Customs before taking off from Bahamas and let them know your ETA, souls, tail, nationalities, etc.

If your going into Palm Beach, call Palm Beach, not Fort Laud.

LIke it's said above, get the sticker, preferably before.

Miami can help you coming in for anything as long as you ask nicely, but of course if your IFR inbound home then your good. If you need to activate that and your OUT Island, you can usually get them on 125.7 or 133.4

Latest resources

Back