Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Me and a couple of our flight instructors are thinking about flying our Duchess from Kansas City to the Bahamas. Anybody got any tips? Hotels to stay at, things to see, Ive been to the AOPA;s site regarding getting in and out, just lookin for tips and hints.

Brad

Look up the Florida pilot websites, there are some tips and such on how to get over there. I would stay above 10k, for the 172 that the altitude that is needed to be able to glide to land (anything that wasn't water) at all times. Getting wet is not an option, the coasties aren't that good.

You know the regs, life preservers, if you know anybody, see if you can barrow a set of the inflatables, that way you can put them in a place where you will actually have time to get them out if you end of going in the drink.

Sorry about all this doomsday stuff, but its better safe than sorry, I don't want to hear about anyone on the 11 o clock news if I don't have to.

Have fun, it's a blast there.

HAHA, you guys can attempt to go fly out there and then the CAPs can don their nomex and go look for you floating around in your lifejackets.

Great trip!

I live and learned to fly in S. FLorida. I made quite a bit of trips to the Bahamas. I can recommend you make your way to OPF, Opa Locka Airport. There is a flight school where I learned called Wayman Aviation. They also have a pilot supply store right on their grounds. They sell up to date info on the Bahamas and there is a guide for the Islands with all the info you need. They rent life jackets and rafts at very reasonable prices. I have an outdated guide I can send ya if you like so you can get an idea of where to go and stay. You need the updated one to get the pertinent info on Customs and regulations. While there you can get the hours of operations of OPF customs for your return and their requirements. OPF is probably one of the most convenient airports to do Customs.
The islands are very pilot friendly. You get discounts and some places even have private pilot packages. Their Customs is easygoing but you need to get the transfers necessary to go inter-island and find out which are primary airports(with customs) and their hours. Marsh Harbor, Eleuthera (spelling), Exuma, The Abacos and my personal favorite to relax Cat Island.
Overall you guys should have a great time. It's a nice trip without many hassles as long as you are informed.

We just got back from Nassau ... our company makes at least one trip down there a year ... this was our second. The hassle factor is very low. I can't speak to the out islands at all, but if you're staying on Nassau, I recommend the British Colonial Hilton ... pricey, for sure, but everything is on the islands. The weather is nice down there, for sure.

We use Fort Pierce (FPR) for customs coming back in, and we're pretty happy with it. A convenient stop just over 200 NM from MYNN and there's a restaurant on the field where you can grab a bite before heading home ... or they'll do boxed lunches so you can eat in the plane.

Have fun!

R

I have flown down there from Chicago a few times. I have been to all the islands that have useable runways. Make sure you land close to where you are staying or the cab ride will cost more than your flight.:eek:

My favorite by far is Long Island, Stella Maris and Cape Santa Maria are beautiful. It is no place for a bunch of guys though, you need to bring sand to the beach........so to speak.:D Get ready to bend over for everything, it is very expensive. Most of the out-islands have no T.V.'s or phones but some do. You'll pay dearly for food and rooms on the out-islands but you'll find Nassua is less expensive and cheaper to get around. DO NOT use the General Aviation ramp at Nassua, they are a bunch of idiots! They won't tie your plane down even with a hurricane looming. They won't even let you move it next door to executive air for safety, they think that's suspicious so the DEU (Drug Enforcement Agency) will break into your plane, take all your luggage, let the air out of your tires and delay your departure a day. All the while eating humbergurs over your stuff getting ketchup on everything. They think it's suspicious that an airplane owner would want his plane moved to a tiedown in 70+ mph winds. So just go to Exec air and forget about the other place!

Flying there is a piece of cake, if you are still concerned get the, "Flying to the Bahamas", tape. It has everything in it you'll need. Have fun but bring plenty of cash.

I have been a few times. My favorite was Abaco. We stayed here and it was nice. You could snorkel the reef just offshore.

http://www.hopetownlodge.com/

One drawback to Abaco though. Once you land you need to take an auto taxi to the boat ramps and then a water taxi out to Hope Town. It was a hassle just for the one night we went, but worth it.

If you are going for a few days, consider renting a boat rather than taking the water taxi. That way you could do all the fishing and scuba you want too. Boats are cheap to rent (about the same as a car in the US)

I highly recommend a flight to the Bahamas. We have people going to the Bahamas almost weekly from my school in Florida and the vast majority have a great time. The Bahamaian government is pro aviation so there is little hassle. Check out www.flying.bahamas.com

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back