Flying to Canada

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lear35man

I am going to Montreal in a few weeks. Just wondered what the routine looks like for going into Canada. Anyone who has recent info on traveling to Canada, please pass it on. This is just a pleasure trip, not really business, if that makes any difference.
Thanks for the info!!!

Hey man don't sweat it too much. I did all my flight training in Canada. Now I am in the US doing an IFR and Commercial. Things are very similar. Just make sure you follow the correct customs procedures. to get Canadian weather go to www.navcanada.ca it'll get you everything you need for Montreal. Happy Flying
p.s. circuit entry procedures are a little different. At an uncontrolled airport you can only enter straight in downwind of overfiled to mid downwind. None of this 45 stuff!

Canada

I go into YUL a lot. No problem, just have your paper work ready.
Call the FSS and they will give you all the info you need.

Going to Canada is no problem.

Returning home can be if you don't follow the rules. Check out the US Custom's website or call FSS. You will have to pay $25 for an airplane decal (since you are an infrequent flyer, this is easiest). The decal is good for one year. Find an Airport of Entry that you will use and pay strict attention to the hours of operation for the Customs service or you will have to pay the officer's overtime out of your wallet. (For example, just use someplace like Buffalo, NY where there is 24hr. service rather than someplace like Plattsburg, NY) If I remember the forms are #178 for declaring the Aircraft, #339 for the Decal and if you are going to make it a habit #442 for the GATE program. You must file a Flight Plan each way. In addition to putting "ADCUS" (Advise Customs) on the flight plan, I highly recommend that you get the number for the Customs Office you are going to visit and call them directly just before departing Canada. US Customs considers it the responsibility of the US Citizen to make contact about re-entering the country. Asking Transport Canada to do it for you in the form of their Flight Plan is considered a convenience. You can find info on AOPA, FAA or Customs web sites.

If you use ATC services in Canada, I do believe you are now billed for the priviledge.

Latest resources

Back