Flying to Canada

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aufan

What do you have to do these days when flying to Canada? I use to go there a lot years back but I am sure things have changed since 9/11. We are not Canpass members so that wont apply. Do you have to call Canadian Customs ahead of time when not Canpass??(going to Winnipeg) What about returning---have to land at the first port of entry and then continue to destination? ANy info is good info.

have to call 1 800 can pass and give at least two hour heads up when going in. need a gendec of course for crew and pax. if you will be more than 15 minutes late you have to call and update eta. I am a canpass holder from my freight days and we always cleared back in detroit, but since I've been flying corporate we have been overflying first ports. I.E. I just went from quebec to waukesha, wi to clear in. hope this helps a little.

I was under the understanding that you had to be a member of the canpass program in order to use---you have to call the number regardless?? Maybe canpass membership just lets you fly into smaller places in canada and clear on the phone

So you still need to clear in the US fairly close i presume? I will be going down south so I guess I would still need to clear up north somewhere?

The canpass number can be used for advising customs of your intent to land in Canada regardless of whether or not you hold a canpass permit. A canpass permit allows you to land at any number of a list of smaller airports not generally served by customs. You do not need a permit to land at airports normally served by customs.

You do not need to land at the first airport of entry (assuming part 91 here) coming from Canada. The first AOE requirement exists for southern border crossings only. You must contact the customs officers at the airport of intended landing with the details of your arrival. Phone is the best way to do this, an ADCUS message in the remarks section of the flight plan is another.

Ask the customs officer at the AOE in the USA what they expect to be presented with. I think the only REQUIREMENT (part 91) is Form 178 (Private Aircraft Enforcement) and blue declaration cards from everybody on board. Every customs office is different, standardization is not not DHS's forte...

You do not need to land at the first airport of entry (assuming part 91 here) coming from Canada. The first AOE requirement exists for southern border crossings only. You must contact the customs officers at the airport of intended landing with the details of your arrival. Phone is the best way to do this, an ADCUS message in the remarks section of the flight plan is another.

So I can fly from Winnipeg all the way to destination in the southern US (assuming customs on field)???

AOPA and the NBAA have excellent and usually up to date info. Also type in Canadian customs and there you will find all of their requirements. US Customs web is also informative about coming home. All are easy to use. Have fun.

The canpass number can be used for advising customs of your intent to land in Canada regardless of whether or not you hold a canpass permit. A canpass permit allows you to land at any number of a list of smaller airports not generally served by customs. You do not need a permit to land at airports normally served by customs.

Ask the customs officer at the AOE in the USA what they expect to be presented with. I think the only REQUIREMENT (part 91) is Form 178 (Private Aircraft Enforcement) and blue declaration cards from everybody on board. Every customs office is different, standardization is not not DHS's forte...

So calling Customs on both ends is all that has to be done going and coming??? And of course paperwork once there?

Yep. CanPass going out, you local customs guy coming in.

Be careful on your return, as not all US AOE's have weekend coverage. But do clear on weekends IF you arrange before 5p on a Friday. Gotta watch this.

Yep. CanPass going out, you local customs guy coming in.

Be careful on your return, as not all US AOE's have weekend coverage. But do clear on weekends IF you arrange before 5p on a Friday. Gotta watch this.

And returning--can clear anywhere--doesnt have to be close at all????

Latest resources

Back