Flying to Barrow, AK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

The wife wants me to take her to Barrow, AK next summer.

We're looking on the web and found some great info on the city. What we haven't found is if the city is welcoming to tourists.

Anyone have some info to add about the city?

Does anyone from Alaska Airlines know if the flights in and out of BRW are very hard to get on as a non-rev?

Thanks

barrow ak aug 2004

I did the trip with my gf last summer. Excellent trip...the flights on an old 737-200 combi with 50 seats...plane was only half full both ways. I would do the trip in conjunction with a couple days in ANC..drive down to alyeska..its a nice 2 hour drive from ANC.
As far as Barrow..its a neat village. The people are very very welcoming to tourist. During the winter the sun doesnt come out for about three months...opposite in the summer. Top of the World hotel is the place to stay. They take care of everything..pick you up at airport where you start a tour for most of the day. I think we paid 149 for all day tour and night at hotel. In the evening (which is is still bright sunshine) we did a humvee tour on the ice cap to find some polar bears.. we didnt see any but did see alot of wild life. On the day tour they concentrate on normal cultural stuff...plus whatever happens to be going on. We were driving through a neighborhood and people were skinning seals...so they stopped the bus and we watched that for a while. Anyways its a neat trip..we took the morning flight up from ANC and flew back to ANC the next morning..24 hours in Barrow is about right. pm me if you need anymore info..have some pics of the sights if your interested...

A good day trip out of PANC is go to Whittier and do a Glacier criuse. Well worth the money.

The drive from Anchorage down to Whittier/Portage is one of the best going, IMHO.

Another good few day trip from PANC is talkeetna. Stay at the Talkeetna lodge, a very fine view of the mountain and a neat little town. It serves as a great step-off point for Denali also....the lodge is a fun place and beats the bustle of Anchorage Marriott or the Capt. Cook.

Have fun!

Barrow or Bust

There are more and more tourist going to the Arctic each year. I think you would find the town reasonably open to outsiders. Just don't expect first class digs if you stay a few days.

We fly a few tourist "groups" into BRW during the summer, but I see more of these groups going to SCC (Deadhorse). Seems like the folks in Alabama want to see where all that oil comes from and look at the "beauty" of the north slope.

I'll jump on my box for a minute here - nothing wrong at all with tourist going to the slope, we love to have there $$$ in our state. What drives me nuts is the whole political mess we have gotten our country into over a piece of flat, baren, waste land known as ANWAR. And before anyone jumps in here from the tree hugging, bear petting, sandle wearing, latte drinking group - let me say this. If you have not been there and looked at it with your own eyes, you have no idea what you are talking about. If the Govt wants to test nukes in country - here are two great locations - Nevada and the Arctic - because there is nothing there you can hurt - its already a waste land. Ok, off of box, I sure feel better now.

Back the the topic at hand. You can non-rev, but you better check loads before you plan your trip and don't travel around any holidays. There are two flights to BRW each day. One AM and one PM. The all go ANC-FAI-BRW-FAI-ANC. The FAI portion can fill up most flights but that is not such a big deal as there are lots of ANC-FAI flights. The BRW legs can be full as well, but with a little planning you could make it. Keep in mind, the jet is always in Combi configuration, usually 2 pallet and 72 seats, or 3 pallet and 56 seats.
Enjoy your trip.

If you end up driving south, just as well make a day of it and go to the end of the road (HOMER). Quaint village and if you hit it at the right time of the season you'll see more Eagles than you have your entire life. If memory serves me, its about a 5 hour drive from ANC. The Alyeska hotel / ski resort is about 45 minutes south of ANC. Great skiing in the winter, fantastic hiking in the summer.

If you plan on driving to Whittier, get a schedule from your hotel as the tunnel is one way at varying times during the day. Also note the time before coming home or you'll end up a POW (Prisoner of Whittier....a local told me that one). I've flown to some lakes NE of Talkeetna but never driven past there.

Best advice is to do your homework. Alaska has enough to see and do to take up several months.

Regards,

2000Flyer

If the Govt wants to test nukes in country - here are two great locations - Nevada and the Arctic

Come on now... Not all of Nevada is a waste land. I happen to live in a thriving metropolis and we would rather not test nukes here.

Thanks for all the info fellahs!!

chperplt said:
Come on now... Not all of Nevada is a waste land. I happen to live in a thriving metropolis and we would rather not test nukes here.

Thanks for all the info fellahs!!
I thought they still tested in downtown Vegas. Looks like it everytime I go down:). I was down on Sat. to pick up my truck that was stolen the previous week. I got to see the little known oasis in the desert referred to by the locals as W. Lake Mead Blvd and Losee. I didn't even want to leave my other truck outside the impound yard to go in the office.

Tinman,

Yea, you weren't in the nicest part of town. I know that area and I stay the heck away!!

Henderson is getting old. The west and southwest portions of town are the most modern. Summerlin and the Rhodes Ranch area are very popular.

Latest resources

Back