Flying to Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NCherches

My boss is wanting to fly to Alaska this summer... Wanted to see what tips you guys had on just about everything -

Where to stay
When to go
What airports/FBO's to use
Awesome bizjet sight seeing spots

Other operational considerations (customs/survival gear requirements, etc)

Anything else would be great too! Thanks!

My boss is wanting to fly to Alaska this summer... Wanted to see what tips you guys had on just about everything -

Where to stay
When to go
What airports/FBO's to use
Awesome bizjet sight seeing spots

Other operational considerations (customs/survival gear requirements, etc)

Anything else would be great too! Thanks!

It really depends on on where you are coming from and where you are going. Mt McKinley is a top stop for sight seeing. What type of aircraft you are using and the load will limit the airports you can use. Most airports have only one operator.

If you plan the trip correctly, you will not have to land in Canada and will avoid the customs hassle. If the boss wants to see some of Canada, use Canpass (1-800-canpass) for notifications. The folks there are Friendlier and more helpful than US Customs. Then coming into Alaska, you will have to clear at an airport acceptable to Customs.

As for survival equipment, I have been there many times with jets and have never been asked to show the equipment. I believe that jets are exempt from that requirement. However a pocket knife is a useful tool in a survival situation. On the issue of guns, if you are planning on landing in Canada NO pistols. Besides a shotgun would be a much better choice for a survival weapon.

If you are going to spend any time in Anchorage and have a desire to get a seaplane rating, there are a couple of schools on Lake Hood. And that is a place to see. Also there is the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum which is also on Lake Hood.

Enjoy the trip.

I have made our annual trip to Alaska for the past two years. I have been to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kenai, Juneao, Kechikan and Fairbanks. I did both trips in a DA-50EX. I stopped in BFI for fuel on one trip from Atlanta, and SNA on the other (I had to pick up some passengers in SNA). Normally we can do the trip with a stop in Seattle for the DA-50EX and Nonstop if we use a DA-900 from Atlanta.

Both FBOs in Anchorage a good. There really isn't an FBO in Kenai, you park yourself and go to the airport office to pay the ramp fee. There is a passenger terminal with a good resturant. There is a guy that sells Jet A, they have a fuel truck. Fairbanks has a nice airport and good FBO. I don't know why anybody would want to go there, not much to see. The FBO's are ok in Juneao and Kechikan. You get a lot of cruise ships in Juneao, so sometimes the hotels are pretty full. The only thing I really sweated in Juneao was being able to get back out. Alaskan Airlines has custom departure procedures that makes it easier for them to get out. It is a place where you can sometimes land but if the weather changes you might not be able to get out due to the departure procedure.

I had to use the HF radio for a portion of the trip up from SNA and for the leg from Fairbanks to Juneao, otherwise VHF was fine. We didn't take any special survival equipment, our standard equipment was ok for the trip.

I never had time to do any tourist stuff. The fishing is good in Keani. We always stay at the Marriott in Anchorage, it is nice. Everything costs a lot more in Alaska, probably double what you are used to paying. Mostly we base out of Anchorage and then do day trips out to the other cities.

I have made our annual trip to Alaska for the past two years. I have been to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kenai, Juneao, Kechikan and Fairbanks.

What he forgot to mention is to be careful, a trip to the state of Alaska causes memory loss...

Glacier Brew House in ANC.....its always nice to have some hand crafted brew after sitting in the dark all night.

+1 for the Brew House. Also Moose's Tooth has great pizza if you make it over that way. As far as sight seeing spots you can drive around the north perimeter of the airport and there is a knoll by the fence that lots of people watch from over by Pt. Woronzof. ANC doesn't have that much business jet traffic compared to many other major airports but lots and lots of heavies. Perhaps we could be more help if we knew what kind of equipment you are using and when you are going....

Glacier Brewhouse = TGIF food with awful beer...just cause its in Alaska, near the Marriott, and full of pilots should tell all...

Try Fst Station if you want to hang out w the pilots and actually have edible food, decent beer, and eye candy bartenders.

Venture over to Darwins Theory for a high end bar w/ hot chiks.

Drive down to the Double Musky for decent food.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back