Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying the FK100 - Good, Bad and Ugly...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

I have a friend who flies the FK100 for American and he really loves the airplane. Yeah, he admits that it is a very SLOW jet, but he doesn't mind being paid by the hour... I know that a number of airlines flew the Fokker at one time or another including Midway, USAirways, Mesa (Fokker 70) and of course American is gradually phasing it out.

Just thought it would be nice to hear about the good, bad and the ugly related to the fine aircraft. I remember taking a good look at the flight deck one afternoon and I was very impressed - nice and clean EFIS environment.

So, what are your FK100/70 memories out there? If you are currently flying it for American, will you miss it or would you rather move on to something else? If you are flying something else now, how does your current airplane compare to the venerable Fokker?

Thanks

One of the best

Been flying it for about 6 years and it's gotta be one of the more advanced airplanes out there, even through it was re-designed in the 1980's and been out of production since 1997. Compared to the corporate jets I've flown (fly), nothing really comes close to the overall sophistication and handling qualities until you get into the some of the newer bizjets, jets that were designed way later than the Fokker.

I'd got to admit that it is a little slow at 300/.75m, our normal cruise speed, and at .73m it made the west coast flights nearly a 14 hour duty day, but our passengers and pilots love the plane.

Our biggest weakness has been with hydraulic problems, mainly leaks and a few system failures. The engines are bullitt proof but the airplane is a little underpowered climbing out at gross to the higher flight levels. Air conditioning and pressurization work well, we've never had problems there and the runway performance is pretty good.

Overall, the plane has been very good to us and it will be missed when they are finally retired from our fleet. Looking for a replacement leaves few choices out there, maybe the B717 if it's still in production when the end does come.

it's maybe a slow plane, but that's the results of the (F28) design requirements: regional jet that can fly out of short, unimproved airports. On the short segments speed is not that critical, and in areas of the world where time doesn't move fast or where there is little traffic to follow behind you it doesn't matter at all.
It was one of the original regional jets, with a stand-up cabin (not like the replacement jets where I always hit my head on the ceiling).

I agree Metrodriver, the F28/FK100 was the first big regional jet and the FK100 carries roughly the same amount as the EMB-190 will I believe.

I sure hope the EMB-190 improves upon the luggage bins for the passengers - the FK100 had real small overhead bins - kinda like the current CRJ-700/900 - almost too small for a "normal" carry-on.

Any ex/current FK100 pilots out there wish to share their thoughts? Great airplane - sorry to see its numbers diminish...

I flew the F100 as a Captain for a year before U pulled the plug on my career. Loved the airplane, did exactly what it was supposed to do on the routes it was designed for. Not a wonderful plane on long haul though

I'm going to have to disagree on the airconditioning working well. It might have worked well over in Europe in the summer, but not that great on the ground in the south during the summer. Other than that, it is a great airplane!
Fly safe.

I suppose slow cruise over longer routes would be a pain for the FK100. I wonder which could win in a 600 mile race - the FK100 or the Dornier 328Jet? Both are pretty slow from what I have been told (and seen).

One thing I have heard repeatedly is that the FK100 has a very comfortable cockpit - is that correct?

Cockpit is pretty comfortable............I've spent many hours on long flights in there.

As for the a/c, ours is a 70 so we don't suffer from "dutch oven" problems like you 100 guys, plus we don't have the same body count.
:cool:

Does the Fokker 70 have the same sized cockpit as the Fokker 100? I am surprised the Fokker 70 didn't sell better - it really did fit the markets of the current-day CRJ-700, etc. - although I know its range is lacking somewhat vs. the CRJ-700 and the EMB-170-190... I suppose Fokker's bankruptcy didn't help matters with lack of good support, etc.

Any more Fokker guys out there care to comment?

The mighty Fokker is an absolutely great airplane. It is virtually dummy proof. It will come down like a greased crowbar and slow down at the same time if needed. The box is painfully slow, but so are all the other jet's boxes I've flown. It is very easy to land consistently. I will really miss the plane when it goes.

Latest resources

Back