• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying slow to save fuel?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's up with some of the regionals flying slow to save fuel these days? Do they NOT want to get to the destination asap? A CHQ was doing 250 over the ground at FL300 the other day on his way to IAD, and had his speed pulled back to "conserve fuel" wtf, is this a company directive?

Flying slow may not be direct company directive, however a great emphasis on fuel conservation is happening in the industry. Especially at the regional level, where we have to compete for the contracts for the "major" flying. If "we" can reduce our costs then maybe we will see more flying from the major partner. Behind labor, fuel is the second highest expense for an airline. If an airline does NOT have a fuel conservation program in place in todays market then it is only harming the company, the employees, and the customers.

At my company we have a fuel conservation program in place that directs us to fly certain profiles when able (some airports are too congested) and as a professional, fuel conservation is certainally part of my decision making process as I manage the overall flight.

No, the goal is not to get to the destination ASAP. That is a myth. The goal in 121 (majors as well as the regionals) is to get there on schedule within the block times, and hopefully have saved some fuel. If you close the doors early, have a short taxi, have a tailwind, and no ATC delays you might be early to your destination according to your block time. At most companies the block times for every flight segment are based on historical block times.

As stated in above posts, if you arrive at your destination 30-20 minutes early and have to sit on the ground awaiting your gate to open up you will DEFINITELY here it from your passengers, even if you get to the gate early or "on time" based on your scheduled arrival time.

However, by flying 250 if ATC permits, it will not only save fuel, a big concern at the 121 level since crude is above $90 a barrel right now, but you will arrive maybe 10 minutes early, your gate is open, the passengers aren't the wiser, and maybe you have made an extra couple of minutes of pay on that leg.

Also, as stated above, we are paid on block times if you leave early then you are only screwing yourselves in pay if you fly as fast as you can.
You are also screwing your fellow pilots by reducing the historical block time on a particular leg. That will be looked at to compute future block/credit times for the leg.

Fuel management is why we taxi out on one engine and as we get close to the runway start the other, and also why we don't start the APU (sometimes!) until close to the departure time. Every little bit helps, especially in this industry and economy!

Flying slow may not be direct company directive, however a great emphasis on fuel conservation is happening in the industry. Especially at the regional level, where we have to compete for the contracts for the "major" flying. If "we" can reduce our costs then maybe we will see more flying from the major partner. Behind labor, fuel is the second highest expense for an airline. If an airline does NOT have a fuel conservation program in place in todays market then it is only harming the company, the employees, and the customers.

At my company we have a fuel conservation program in place that directs us to fly certain profiles when able (some airports are too congested) and as a professional, fuel conservation is certainally part of my decision making process as I manage the overall flight.

No, the goal is not to get to the destination ASAP. That is a myth. The goal in 121 (majors as well as the regionals) is to get there on schedule within the block times, and hopefully have saved some fuel. If you close the doors early, have a short taxi, have a tailwind, and no ATC delays you might be early to your destination according to your block time. At most companies the block times for every flight segment are based on historical block times.

As stated in above posts, if you arrive at your destination 30-20 minutes early and have to sit on the ground awaiting your gate to open up you will DEFINITELY here it from your passengers, even if you get to the gate early or "on time" based on your scheduled arrival time.

However, by flying 250 if ATC permits, it will not only save fuel, a big concern at the 121 level since crude is above $90 a barrel right now, but you will arrive maybe 10 minutes early, your gate is open, the passengers aren't the wiser, and maybe you have made an extra couple of minutes of pay on that leg.

Also, as stated above, we are paid on block times if you leave early then you are only screwing yourselves in pay if you fly as fast as you can.
You are also screwing your fellow pilots by reducing the historical block time on a particular leg. That will be looked at to compute future block/credit times for the leg.

Fuel management is why we taxi out on one engine and as we get close to the runway start the other, and also why we don't start the APU (sometimes!) until close to the departure time. Every little bit helps, especially in this industry and economy!

Actually fuel is a higher expense than labor at most if not all airlines these days(labor has taken pay cuts or not recieved COLA, fuel has just gone up year after year)!

Fly slow, save the company money so they can cut your pay. Makes sense.

I certainly understand wanting to save fuel, and I'll do the same thing when possible, but if you know traffic is behind you and having to slow down for you, then pick your dang speed up to normal. Flying 250 indicated on busy airways on the east coast is going to hold up people behind you that maybe aren't going to be early like you are. Sure, save fuel when you can, but don't hold everybody else up.

Fly slow, save the company money so they can cut your pay. Makes sense.

At my company it doesn't matter what speed we fly at, management can do what it wants with our pay and we have no control, say, or ability to change it even if we wanted to.

So, fly slower if able and yes PCL, not all the time in congested airspace where you are going to be a burden to others...

But, I'm going to try to fly slower when able and add a couple extra $$ to my paycheck....

Last edited:
yup just like everyone else said, more money in your pocket, saves the company money, and you dont have to sit on the ground for 20minutes waiting for a gate to open. but agreed if you are holding someone else up pick it up and get out of the way

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back