Flying & Prescription Drugs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hoke

Guys and Girls, I know there was a thread on this subject recently however, I can't remember where it is that one would find a "list" of approved drugs. I'm having surgery on 12/9 and would like to know what I can/cannot be administered and how long I need to be off line for.
Many Thanks for the info.

Holding a bag of frozen peas against your nuts does not count as medication, even though it may help you feel better.

Seriously, the shelf life of most medications is twice the dosing interval (ie. if it says take one every six hours, allow twelve to pass before flying, but that is just a rule of thumb. As someone else said, visit leftseat.com

Hoke said:
Guys and Girls, I know there was a thread on this subject recently however, I can't remember where it is that one would find a "list" of approved drugs. I'm having surgery on 12/9 and would like to know what I can/cannot be administered and how long I need to be off line for.

Hoke,

As mentioned before, call your AME before your surgery. Personally, that is what I would do because you are getting the info right from the horse's mouth.

I hope your surgery goes well, and a speedy recovery too.

Hoke said:

It kind of depends on the seriousness of the surgery. any surgery besides some out patient procedures immediately disqualify you from hold your current medical...for any surgery that you are knocked out for if I remember there is a 30 day wait until you can go in to get your medical back… the basic outline of what happens is after the surgery you'll need your doctor to write a report of what was wrong, what was done to you and your expected outcome.. then you take all of that to your FAA medical examiner. the examiner will then review that paper work and should be able to approve a temporary medical certificate at that time which is if I remember correctly was good for 6 months. you will then receive a letter in the mail a few weeks later from OKC basically something to the effect of they approve what was done and agree with your examiner but if anything changes they will need to be notified and possible a requirement to get another checkup along with a report from your doctor. After 6 months you just take that piece of paper from OKC and any check up reports from your doctor to your examiner and if nothing has changed your medical will be approved again. Some serious procedures require the actually FAA board of doctors to approve your returning to flying such as heart issues.. If you’re a member of ALPA call the aero medical department they will help you with all the steps.. i've had cancer and a kidney stone in the past and haven't had too much trouble getting my first class back.

stall022 said:
If you’re a member of ALPA call the aero medical department they will help you with all the steps

Absolutely. These people are great. They'll take your paperwork and will jump through all the hoops for you while you sit at home waiting for the call. No worries.

This service by itself is worth the monthly ALPA dues. I've used it twice now to keep my medical.

Latest resources

Back