Flying on one engine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cheebs501

I was just wondering if knew how an old Apache does flying on one engine.
This accident happened last week at my home airport.

NTSB Identification: CHI06FA030
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Accident occurred Wednesday, November 09, 2005 in Bloomington, IL
Aircraft: Piper PA-23-160, registration: N4319P
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On November 9, 2005, at 2059 central standard time, a Piper PA-23-160, N4319P, operated by Blackstone Rotorcraft Inc., received substantial damage on impact with terrain about one mile southeast of Central Illinois Regional Airport (BMI), Bloomington, Illinois, during a visual approach to runway 29 (6,525 feet by 150 feet). Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The 14 CFR Part 135 on-demand cargo flight was operating on an instrument rules flight plan. The pilot was fatally injured. The flight departed from Greater Peoria Regional Airport (PIA), Peoria, Illinois, en route to Johnston County Airport (JNX), Smithfield, North Carolina, at 2021 and returned to PIA without incident after the pilot reported that the airplane door came open. The flight then departed at 2031 and diverted back to PIA due to a reported rough right engine, but while diverting back to PIA, the pilot diverted to BMI. The pilot did not declare an emergency.

I flew in a 150-hp Apache with the Geronimo mods it did pretty well at 3500 ft. with 4 on board (probably about 600 lbs) with either side feathered. Actually surpised me holding altitude without using full power.
If it was full of freight probably a different story.

Latest resources

Back