Flying into Canada

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

goaliemn

Well, I'm looking at flying up to Canada to visit a friend. To prepare, I did get a CanPass so I dont have to worry as much about customs going in.

Is there any site that talks about the differences in rules or even maps between the 2 countries? Also, any tips on customs coming back to the states?

Thanks

In my past experience going into Calgary and Vancouver:
Arrival = Approach
Apron = Ramp
Position and wait = Position and hold
Don't expect a landing clearance till on short final
You can get your IFR clearance 45 minutes prior to departure instead of 30 minutes prior.
Visibility if often reported in actual visibility, ie. 40 SM
not just 10SM, meaning AT LEAST 10 SM.
Loonies = 1 Canadian dollar coin (there's a picture of a Loon on the back)
Toonie = 2 Canadian dollar coin
Regarding customs I have no clue. Our dispatch did all that paperwork and we just showed our passports.

And traffic patterns are called "circuits"
Go arounds are called "overshoots"
When you are abeam the touchdown point they say that you are "over the button" -- I think...:eek:

That pretty much sums it up.

Have fun here. Remeber take some of the cold with you on your way out.

Oh yeah, theres no flight folowing. And wayyyyyyyyyy less controlled airspace. 126.70 gets really clogged with other traffic. Most, if not all FSS's have more than one frequency to them. Try to use those to get updates. The Freq are published in a booked call the "Canada Flight Suppliment." It has all the airport info in it, ie runway length, number, freq etc....

Saves a near miss clearing an airport 100mile north of you, if your not on 26.7

"Nickel up" means .05 up on the freq, same with dime. "Go Guns" "switch to guns etc..." means 130.30

As for customs? don't know. Never flown below the 55th let alone the 49th.

Last edited:
It was always such a joyous and magnificant occasion when 30 miles out going into an uncontrolled field ( which only had a NDB approach) to be cleared outta controlled airspace and decsent "our discretion), cancel search and rescue now or wait and advise when ready to copy phone number to call us when on ground if u wanna wait" Next up ..... n d b approach into a field that is right at minimums.. Awww gosh all those memories.. Thank God for the 430.:D :D

ATC is a tad different but other than that piece a cake.

have fun,

3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back