Flying International Just Like In USA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I was looking at the Canadian side of my sectional and it looks like everything is the exact same thing over there even though they don't have the FAA or anything.

Is it the same type of thing all over the world. Such as, is London Heathrow called a "Class B airport"? Are all ICAO countries the same when it comes to aviation?

Every country is diffrent even though the airspace looks the same. International you are running in ICAO regs which if you usually follow them you will be O.K.

The charts are all basically the same. You can get world wide coverage through Jeppesen and there is no or very little difference between the enroute charts in the US or elsewhere. The approach charts are about the same too. About the biggest difference you'll see is that the charts use metric rates and such.

The difference though, especially with Europe is that of course the size. A lot smaller therefore the airspace is more compact, so that they leave little room for deviation. In that aspect it is a different world. As for Canada, it's pretty much the same as the U.S.

Last edited:
I had one question? In sept of 1993 we went to the alphabet airspace to be like most of ICAO.
I have been into Frankfurt many times and it doesnt really matter as we are of cousre IFR but the high chart keeps referring to the airspace around Frankfurt as C-- which has me a little confused.. Am wondering if Im missing something

Canada is very similar to the USA and the only difference I can think of is
1. speed restriction below 3000/ 10 miles(vs 2500 and 4nm)
2. I do not believe they have MCA as they expect you to alays cross segment at next minimum altitude (vs US you begin climb at change point if required)

Africa and part of Russia and Asia are still very far from being standardized. Jeppessen will be the first to admit that but it is up to the individual country and some are a little slower to accept change

Each country is free to file exceptions to ICAO standard, and most do. The U.S. probably is the least standard of any country out there. Japan is probably the most standard. What this means is that the rest of the world is different than the U.S., for the most part. Couple that with varying degrees of radar services, etc., and you have a much different system.

ICAO holding procedures are different, alignment procedures, the international version of "TERPS" is PANS-OPS, with numerous differences to the U.S. procedures (and the U.S. procedures aren't better...). Also, the standard phraseology for the rest of the world is different. It's all English, but the the U.S. ATC terminology is different. U.S. really should switch to ICAO standard as it is more concise. Then perhaps pilots flying in other parts of the world would stop using the word "level" when they mean "maintain", and restrict the word "level" to its proper use, which is in reference to a flight level. Many more along those lines, look them up in PANS-OPS.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering because it seems like being one of the busiest airports in the world it would be class b.- so that threw me for a minute.... I guess that is another example of international differences.

Bigsky

Most of the Aviation proceedures and policies in Europe are very similar to ours, and it doesn't take much time to get use to them.

Although they don't have "B" airspace around the big airports their "C" airspace is configured similarly. Also, their "D" airspace often has radar similar to our "C."

Timp

Nigeria

Anyone who thinks flying in Africa is just like anywhere else is not looking to land at his destination.

When was the last time an American aircraft diverted to its alternate to find it dark and empty with no lights or navaids because the only person there had a birthday and had gone home. Ask the people killed when the 727 ran out of fuel.

Latest resources

Back