• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying in India

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I respect the fact that you live there and i do not however to suggest Mumbai is comparable to New York is in and of itself ludicrous...whats more you go on to mention in the same breath that Indians are not predisposed to a social life...a la Gotham one presumes.

fv
Maybe i should have said that "Indians are not predisposed to a social life" with westerners with whome they work, but are not fomally introduced. As you said i live there and work among them, talk with them, exchange idears with them, manage them, and am their superior. But Asking them out to the bar in the lobby of the 5star hotel where i reside or to the local yuppie watering holes i.e, Hard rock or Inegma Disco where all the trendy folks hang out! all you get is an unresponsive smile.
if you have not travelled and seen the other side of the world and all you have is one vision of New York City, it will be difficult for me to convince you differently. Yes there may not be any skyscrapers or helicopter landing pads, but ALL BIG CITY people have the same competative and aggressive tendencies be it New york london or where ever.
No disrespect but Your narrowmindedness is definately your short coming.
George

Maybe i should have said that "Indians are not predisposed to a social life" with westerners with whome they work, but are not fomally introduced. As you said i live there and work among them, talk with them, exchange idears with them, manage them, and am their superior. But Asking them out to the bar in the lobby of the 5star hotel where i reside or to the local yuppie watering holes i.e, Hard rock or Inegma Disco where all the trendy folks hang out! all you get is an unresponsive smile.
if you have not travelled and seen the other side of the world and all you have is one vision of New York City, it will be difficult for me to convince you differently. Yes there may not be any skyscrapers or helicopter landing pads, but ALL BIG CITY people have the same competative and aggressive tendencies be it New york london or where ever.
No disrespect but Your narrowmindedness is definately your short coming.
George

The discussion is the suitability of Mumbai for the spouse of a contract pilot. A pilot who will be working hard and a spouse who will be developing a social life and possibly raising some kids. You suggested it is no different than NY. I spend 70% of my time flying around and staying on 'the other side of the world' including but not limited to Mumbai

Now - like I mentioned before Mumbai is not remotely comparable to New York. If you think it is comparable then this conversation is wasted. We are talking about it from the perspective of not just soicial life - but everything, mass transit, leisure facilities, fitness clubs,the arts, healthcare options everyday QOL, general hygiene, sociable locals, variety of shopping etc. If you said that HK, Singapore, Tokyo, Dubai, London, Paris were comparable - then no discussion because they all offer what that a modern 1st world city offers.

Mumbai/Bombay is not one of them - Not even close. In 23 years of traveling I have never seen a person take a ******************** it front of me in the street in any of the above cities mentioned. In Mumbai I saw it three times in one day. In all the airports I have been to I have never (except in Mumbai) seen a big pithole on the airport grounds and witnessed while taxiing (rwy 25 I think) over a dozen people taking their morning dump right in front of the taxiing aircraft where all the passengers were aghast - at the other end of the hole a guy was washing his clothes. In all the cities I ahve been to I have never been in a taxi where the driver knocked someone down and kept on driving without batting an eyelid. I have seen beggars in other third world cities but the indian kids who are maimed at birth in order to gain more sympathy while they beg is something I have never seen in the above cities mentioned. (Nothing like a cold beer in Leopolds while one of the legless 5yr olds looks at you with hollow eyes as you order your meal) In all my travels I have never seen such dangerous driving as on the Western Expressway...but you are probably right its all just 'narrowmindedness' on my part.

A five star hotel is great for a while but eventually you need a neighborhood to just live a normal life in...Mumbai...I think not.

Guys I really don't think this discussion needs to be abt who has more knowledge about living in different countries. I currently live in the US, but am actually from India. I can understand everyones view of the place and how the infrastructure is run. FAA and DGCA are 2 worlds apart, there's absolutely no comparison.
Now to the point abt the person who asked abt living in India and taking his wife there....initially it may be a culture shock to a lot of people, but after living there for a little while, you blend in. I agree abt the beggars, cab drivers who think they drove for Nascar before and all the other discrepancies. The problem of the matter is population and the sudden improvement in economy with all the outsourcing and new companies opening up. If you are making good money in India, you can have a fantastic lifestyle of keeping a cook, driver and a servant to serve you. Most of the people there are friendly with a few ocassional rude ones. Live there and make it worth your money...travel with your wife and see good places. Don't pay attention to things that are out the norm. Always drink bottled water. The rest will fall in place. If you need any help there, let me know. I have plans to move there in the next 4-5 months. Need anymore info, PM me.

Guys I really don't think this discussion needs to be abt who has more knowledge about living in different countries. I currently live in the US, but am actually from India. I can understand everyones view of the place and how the infrastructure is run. FAA and DGCA are 2 worlds apart, there's absolutely no comparison.
Now to the point abt the person who asked abt living in India and taking his wife there....initially it may be a culture shock to a lot of people, but after living there for a little while, you blend in. I agree abt the beggars, cab drivers who think they drove for Nascar before and all the other discrepancies. The problem of the matter is population and the sudden improvement in economy with all the outsourcing and new companies opening up. If you are making good money in India, you can have a fantastic lifestyle of keeping a cook, driver and a servant to serve you. Most of the people there are friendly with a few ocassional rude ones. Live there and make it worth your money...travel with your wife and see good places. Don't pay attention to things that are out the norm. Always drink bottled water. The rest will fall in place. If you need any help there, let me know. I have plans to move there in the next 4-5 months. Need anymore info, PM me.

Well said.

fv.

Hi!

Emirates: My buddy has a lot of time, and about 2000 PIC 121 (but in small aircraft). He has no widebody or international experience. Emirates offered him off the street -777 captain. He is waiting for his interview date.

cliff
LRD

I lived in India for a good part of 2004. I was in a hotel for part of it and rented a flat for part of it too, in a fairly westernized and affluent part of Pune.

I have done overseas contract work in India, Saudi Arabia and Mali, and India would be my first choice to go back to, although its going to be the 2nd of the list where I am soon again.

Yes there is an overreliance on tradition as a guide to doing something, infrastructure is horrid at times, bureaucracy is maddening, but looking back, I did not realize how nice I had it until I went to Mali, or Saudi Arabia. Sure in Saudi, had a nice house, nice car, but that was about it outside of work. At least in India, some nice bars to go to, could meet some attractive Indian women, and ran into a lot of western women too. Hyderabad has a nice gokart track outside of town with a climing wall too :)

In Saudi, it would be nice to have a fast forward button so I could wake up at the end of the contract, because not really missing anything.

In Saudi, it would be nice to have a fast forward button so I could wake up at the end of the contract, because not really missing anything
Great line, heard similar comments on most of the middle east. :laugh:

Dharmesh K,

Do all Marines have A320 type ratings???? It seems as though they have a program for enlisted guys to get a type while the flyboys just envy you. Is this your case????? Do you talk ******************** to the fly boys, I would, hehehehhehehee.

Indigo Man:)

I do tend to put my price up with the flyboys here....they think they are the only guys out there who can fly jets and by far the smartest. After all we are enlisted, what do we know!!! Hate to burst their bubble and see the look on their faces when they see a 320 type on my lic. The best part is I have more time than these guys who fly F18's and AV-8's. By the way what's the latest news at Indigo. How's the QOL and scheds like....I really like the company and see good growth in them. Let me know. My number is 856-294-7804.

Indigo

No Problem, If you or anyone wants info On INDIGO and wants a fast track in the front door then PM me and Ill hook you up, especially JARHEADS:)

Sampson

Latest resources

Back