• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying in Chicago?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Google METRA and Chicago Transit Authority(CTA) for info on trains, light rail and PACE busses. They have route maps. I think Schaumburg is near a METRA station.

Kdpa

ride out to the Geneva stop on the Metra and have one of the folks at Illinois Aviation at KDPA pick you up. they would be more than happy to help you out. this is probably your best bet. they have good airplanes and good instructors. mike veselka will probably check you out. good guy.

Then there's Meigs...
Oh wait.

Danm it.

I love what King Daley did for this city, but I hope he burns in he!l for Meigs.

Well, he!l is perhaps too harsh. Maybe Miami...

PWK is a nice airport, not sure if the bus runs up there or not, I know that it is not far off of the Metra stop.

There ain't no airports on any public transpo-tation cept Midway and O'Hare. If you are living downtown in the city, yeah take the train to Geneva and have some guy pick you up from the train station is probably the only suggestion.

I doubt if you are living in the city, Travel Express, which is like a few feet from Illinois Aviation, is a nice place.

www.flytea.com

I can't say much about what is right around the Gary airport. I like to avoid Gary simply due to the stink that is "Gary." In the "State" of Chicago there isn't much in the way of airports for playing with. PWK and DPA are the two I would send you to. But as someone stated before. Nothing going strait to them. You would have to cab or pace your way after the train. I personally like DPA more then PWK. But, I live closer to it as well. Good luck!

The Metra goes right by the Schaumburg airport on Irving Park road. However, I would stay away from that flight school. They have a bunch of nice new Diamonds, even a Twin Star, but the management of the flight school leaves a lot to be desired. The instructors there are knowledgeable, but the operation is on a shoe string budget and the owner has his share of run-ins with the FAA.

At PWK, which you can't get to unless you take a bus (which I am not sure is available anyway) from the Metra line from downtown Glenview or Northbrook is not a great option. You can read about Palwaukee Flyers if you do a search here. The only other school is American Flyers. Good place to rent/receive instruction, but Flyers is expensive.

Either of the two schools at DPA would work fine for you. American Flyers is there as well. They have a diesel C172 if you are looking for something different. I guess you can probably get to DPA from the same Metra line that goes past Schaumburg, but you might want to double check.

MDW is probably your best bet. You would have to do some checking, but API and General Aviators were there last time I checked (might now be called Midway Aviators). General Aviators was always a good place to rent and they had a variety of aircraft. Anything rented out of MDW is going to be expensive, just be prepared.

If you can somehow get to Waukegan and you have a few extra dollars, there is a club there called the "Stick and Rudder Club". It is a real good place to rent and they too have a good fleet (Cessnas) of aircraft.

PM if you have any more questions and perhaps I can ask some folks that I know that still instruct.

At PWK, which you can't get to unless you take a bus (which I am not sure is available anyway) from the Metra line from downtown Glenview or Northbrook is not a great option. You can read about Palwaukee Flyers if you do a search here. The only other school is American Flyers. Good place to rent/receive instruction, but Flyers is expensive.

Be careful........http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=37950

Windy City Flyers is another good option at PWK that wasn't mentioned. Wide variety of airplanes and very well maintained. "American Flyers" won't let you rent their aircraft on your own, only for dual instruction.

Palwaukee Flyers is the disaster talked about in the thread above.

Check your PM's.

Be careful........http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=37950

Windy City Flyers is another good option at PWK that wasn't mentioned. Wide variety of airplanes and very well maintained. "American Flyers" won't let you rent their aircraft on your own, only for dual instruction.

Palwaukee Flyers is the disaster talked about in the thread above.

Check your PM's.

PWK Flyers also advertises on many student pilot websites, which is a shame.

Latest resources

Back