Flying in Africa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jafo20

I'm gonna be going on a 1 year deployment to Nigeria soon. Anybody, especially those of you who have worked expat jobs, have advice? Thanks in advance.

Some sage advice: If you can find a better, or even crappier, job someplace else, take it.
Nigeria is crooked. Carry cash. Do not use your own credit card for anything. Not even brand name hotels. Nigeria is #1 in the world for CC fraud. your CC number will be working hard without you even before you finish signing the reciept.
Don't drive after dark, Always verify who your driver is before you get into the van to the airport. Insist on operable door locks, watch them and make sure they do.
If staying at a hotel, a common scam is to get a call from an airport "representative" telling you that your report time or van time has changed. Usually comes early in the morning. When checking out of a hotel or paying your tab, count your change.
Take the old adage "Trust but verify", change it to "Question everything, and verify twice" and you'll be fine.

When flying, keep your eyes peeled and check the TCAS often. Aviation in Nigeria seems to be rapidly outgrowing it's infrastructure.
I am using Lagos as an example. More than 3 on the freq and the controllers can rapidly lose control of the airspace. Particularly Lagos Radar 124.7.

On the other hand, it beats the same old domestic milk run day after day. Good luck!
P.S. Don't dreenk zee water!

Last edited:
Nigeria is possibly the most corrupt country on the face of this earth. Can't imagine the aviation system working too well, good luck if you go.

Go.....treat it as a great adventure and have a blast. But do one thing and listen to what these guys on this board are saying. Not just for Nigeria, but for most of the countries in the region. GET YOUR SHOTS!!!

Assume everyone on the other side of the radio wants to kill you. Stay on the airways and know the MEA's. Never trust a direct or descend without checking terrain.............Have Fun if you can..

Nigeria would not be terribly fun. At least in Mali it was not a problem to walk around anywhere at night as a white guy, its not that way in Nigeria, that will get you robbed, and easily killed.

I cant think of any aviation job in Nigeria worth going there. They better be paying you a lot, and giving you armed transport to the airport and housing

Armed security would be a good idea, especially if you're the wrong race and religion. Nigeria is a predominantly Moslem country with all that implies. People really do forget that the rest of the world is not like the U.S. unfortunately, you can get killed for belonging to the wrong group.

Yeah. I was reading the reports put out by the State Dept. and the security situation there is a total mess. That's why I want as much info from people who have been over there as I can get.

Your comments have been very helpful and I appreciate them. The trick now is how to figure out which security companies I can trust and what driver is actually going to take me to the airport. Hopefully, company can hook me up with someone friendly on the ground in Abuja to babysit me 'til I know the "lay of the land".

Again, thanks for the help.

One thing you need to know--- phones do not work in Nigeria. It was the biggest problem. The symbol of the phone company is a satallite dish with drums being it on it. It is perfect and describes Nigeria perfectly. Some high tech stuff but no one knows how to use it.
You can survive the place and you will have good stories. Of course, then again you might not.

Publishers raises a good point. I've been told that there are local cell companies that work in larger metro areas. Aside from using the ac's satphone, does anyone have experience with ground communication in Nigeria?

I should research companies in the US that can equip me with some kind of communications that will work over there. Perhaps I can prepay, or something.

Latest resources

Back