Flying for Law Enforcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyguy6

AN aviation option I dont hear many people talk about is fying for a law enforcement agency. I have thinking about it lately. I dont mean federal. I wish I coculd but I am 36 years old and the cut off age to be a special agent is 35. So, Ihave been thining abut state patrol or police The problem is most of these departments fly helicopters and I am an airplane pilot.. Does anyone have any advise n departments that fly fixed wing or what they think about a career in law enforcement flying?

I know the Minnesota State Highway Patrol flys a limited fixed wing fleet. However, I believe, that inorder to fly for them, you need to have a minimum of 5 years "on-the-road" experience within the department.

You won't find many flying fixed wing. From what I've seen, you either have to have lots of helo time to get on (i.e. former military) or be street cop for a few years and pay your dues that way. They usually then pay the bill for your training or do it inhouse.

Flyguy6 said:
AN aviation option I dont hear many people talk about is fying for a law enforcement agency. I have thinking about it lately.
AN? You hit the nail on the head! I have given a lot of thought on how aviation could improve law enforcement.

I'm thinking they could save on response time by having numerous AN-2's circling the city, packed with cops decked out in parachute gear, NVG, web gear, mace, a TASER, a pistol and either a Colt M-4 or a 14" Remington 1187 with extra ammo.

Since law enforcement is heading in the direction of the paperless era, all their paperwork could be done on a PDA, linked to the station via secure digital data link, as well as their "real time" police helmet cam.

Put 20 of these jokers in the back of the Antonov at the begining of a shift and drop 'em out whenever there is a police call. When the plane is empty, head back to the field and load another "stick".

The police officers would be able to land at any location within a minute or two, drop their para gear and answer the call. From getting a cat out of a tree, to landing on the roof of a bank during a robbery.

Prisoner transport could be accomplished by harnessing the suspect up and inflating a special balloon attached to a tether. The Antonov would come by the exfiltration point and snag the tether, cutting off the balloon. A winch would hoist the suspect up to the aircraft, where crew members would then get them aboard the aircraft for para drop back at the police station.

Very few departments operate fixed wing aircraft anymore. Some do, but generally they are 172's that are used for clocking people on the highways. Helos are used for most of the real support work simply due to their versatility. There used to be many departments with fixed wing aircraft for things such as VIP and prisoner transport, but most have since figured out it's much cheaper(and less headache) to charter when those services are needed.

If you want to work for law enforcement in a flying position, chances are you will need to spend several years as a groundpounder before you can even be considered. Those positions are hard to come by....I've been trying to get into a few of them for several years, to no avail.

I thought about flying helo's for the Fire Department once as one of their pilots was also a part time instructor at the flight school I worked at. According to him, you had to be on the Fire Department first. Second you had to have a ton of helo time, which meant at the time ex viet nam. Third, all the pilots from the department were in on the interview process and anyone of them could give you the thumbs down and you had no recourse. Looked like a great job, but very very hard to get.

It really depends on where you are located. The state troopers office where I used to live had a 172 that they used for speed traps, aerial surveilance, etc. I knew the trooper who flew for them and he told me if I wanted to fly for them, I had to go through the police academy, become an officer, and commit for like 2 years and they'd let me fly. It sounded like a good job if I wanted to stay where I was at. Plus they would also get you your helo license if you didn't have it...you had to be qual'd in both. So for the 2 year committment, I would have gotten a lot of 172 time and some Bell Jet Ranger time. I think each state will have different requirements, but it also might be "who you know" as with everything aviation. Just my $.02

the california highway patrol has a pretty big fixedwing division...206's I think.....but you have to be on the street for 4 years before you can apply..I'm not sure what the max age for being a street cop with them is though....

If you do it, don't ever compromise your integrity to make a bust. Don't ever let some ground pounder-doughnut-swilling pogue tell you to disregard evidence to get a conviction.

Don't ever forget the principles on which our forefathers risked all they had (including great wealth and VERY comfortable surroundings) to overthrow those who repeatedly violated those civil rights we and all our predecessors fought for and hold so dear.

We have come to EXPECT our Constitutionally guaranteed rights will be upheld. We take for granted that our ELECTED representatives will be stewards of those rights and watch out for those who transgress on those rights.

Don't let some power-hungry, politically-motivated prosecutor trample on those rights, for which so many of our predecessors and direct relatives have sacrificed for self-interest and short-term gain.

Have a great career in Law Enforcement.TC

Workin'Stiff said:
I know the Minnesota State Highway Patrol flys a limited fixed wing fleet. However, I believe, that inorder to fly for them, you need to have a minimum of 5 years "on-the-road" experience within the department.
...and if you think getting on with a major is tough, try getting on with the Minnesota State Patrol.

Latest resources

Back