Flying for Cape Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

a&p cfiguy

What's it like? I've done a search of the archives and everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about the company. But what's the work schedule like? I know they pay by the duty hour and anything over 40 hours is time and a half. Do they try to limit the overtime? How about day's off, two in a row? Mostly daytime hours? How's life in New England? Seems pretty expensive to live there. Any other info is greatly appreciated. I have an interview in a few weeks and want to know everything I can about the company beforehand.

Cape Air is just an awesome company. I worked there 2 summers, one full time and one fill in when I had time off from my other job. They were VERY accomodating with my schedule. Nearly everyone there is a gem to work with. The owner, Dan Wolfe, still flies regularly during the summer, usually Saturdays on the P'Town to Boston route. They are very customer service oriented, but will NEVER question your decision on whether or not to fly.
They usually schedule your days off in blocks, 2 or 3 in a row. The duty days do occasionally get long in the summer. Once on the seniority list you bid lines of time, or you bid days off for the backup (reserve) lines. They do pay duty time, and last I heard it was about 13/hr. Plenty of overtime in the summer.

The downside is it is a bit expensive on Cape Cod in the summer, but it is liveable. When things slow down in the fall many go to Florida or the Carribbean or quit. They are flying Dash 8's out of Guam. There is an additional pay differential for FL/SJU/Guam, but i'm not sure what it is.

If you have any more questions, get in touch

It's ATR-42's in Guam. ATR's pay by flight time same as any other regional. You can find the pay scales by searching the board. For the 402's, the caribbean pays an extra $3/hour and I think florida pays an extra $1/hour. They do have good benefits. After your first year you get uniform replacement. Medicals are paid for. If you move seasonally they do pay some moving expenses. Good pass and jumpseat arrangements. The 402 lines run the gamut but overtime is generally easy to come by if you want it. Days off expect 2, 3, or sometimes 4 depending upon where you're based and the season. Don't expect a commutable line, though. You'll need to live close to where you're based. Cape Cod is expensive. If you don't mind roommates it can be done reasonably, otherwise you might want to look off-cape and then shoot for a New Bedford line when you have the seniority. The 402's are fun to fly and well maintained. The company has a good bunch of guys and they now how to have fun. Not everything is perfect and you won't get rich but overall highly recommended.

I stand corrected on the Guam aircraft, thanks Ack....they are ATR's. There was quite the learning curve when they were trying to get the 121 ops going, it was sometimes humorous to watch from my perspective. A few things I didn't mention.....the bids run for the entire summer, not that you'll have much choice about what you'll get at the bottom of the list. The "dispatchers" are actually just flight followers, so you have to be aware of the added responsibility. As previously stated, they don't give you any crap for not flying. Their high mins policy goes way beyond the regs so it may seem like forever before you get off high mins, especially with the weather around there. The training was very good, though I thought the systems test was a bit over the top...it's a 402. Some of the airplanes are getting old so they have their quirks, but the maintenence is excellent. The autopilots vary in type (3 different ones) and usefulness but most will do an ok job on a coupled approach. Good thing, 'cause a Nantucket 1/2 mile is like no other.
It's a great group of people to work with, and some of the passengers can be "entertaining" as well (someone sitting next to you almost every leg).

Hope this helps, contact me for any more questions.....

Great place to work and you will get great expierence there. there is nothing like shooting approaches to the Rock at "mins". all day or week. (ACK)

Latest resources

Back