Flying coast to coast

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

groundpointsix

The Curacao trip fell through and the airplane is going to the Seattle area now. I'm trying to plan the trip westbound right now and am looking for some input. The boss wants the trip to go IFR as much as possible so he can keep tabs on my location but I can go VFR where it's more practical.

My plan right now is to go IFR to Amarillo, TX and then go VFR, following I-40 through ABQ and FLG into California. The terrain looks fairly low and I'll have good landing spots and be near civilization should something happen. What is the weather like this time of year? Am I likely to be able to get through there VFR?

Plan B is to go south to El Paso and fly IFR along the border, up through TUS and PHX before heading west. This is the only routing that will get me through with relatively low MEAs (I'm flying a 160hp 172 and getting above 10,000 is going to be damn near impossible).

Also, any suggestions for flying up California, Oregon and Washington? The lowest MEAs are along the coast, but there are very few airports north of the bay area and I'm under the impression that fog is likely along that route. Is it better to go the inland route through Fresno and Portland? Does VFR up I-5 keep me over lower terrain and civilization? I don't have sectionals for the west coast yet.

Thanks for the help.

If you need a right-seat navigator, let me know! Sounds like that'll be a fun and challenging trip.

"...following I-40 through ABQ and FLG into California. The terrain looks fairly low..." I'm not sure what you're idea of "fairly low" is but if you're going through Flagstaff, keep in mind the airport is at 7,011' MSL and there is terrain within close proximity of that airport that is nearly 13,000' MSL.

When I drove the moving truck between WA and FL last year, I took the southern route to avoid the possibility of snow. The highest passes along I-5 were along the CA/OR border with a somewhat high pass north of LA. They were about 4500'. The triptik did say things about the possibility of fog in the San Joaquin Valley north of LA. Going from LA past Phoenix through Texas was relatively flat, and if the AAA triptik was right, the highest along I-10 was around 4000' in NM. Phoenix is around 1500', Tuscon is around 2500'; not too high. I was very surprised at the lack of steep hills on I-10 when I drove it. I've only started my training, so I don't know what it is like in the air. I'm also stating this from memory so I might be a little off. I hope this helps some.

EDIT: There are mountains along I-10 in CA, AZ, NM, and TX, but the road itself is along pretty flat terrain. You notice these things when driving a 16' truck.

Last edited:
I flew an Ercoupe 415 up through Cheyenne, Rock Springs then followed the interstate down to Ogden. I got the Ercoupe up to 11,500 no problem with a full load of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Surely you can get the might 172 above 10000, that is a piece of cake.

I have done it several times. If the weather is decent. Go through Lubock, Texas and across through New Mexico. Northern Arizona, Vegas Area and then cut up through Bishop CA. If you want to go IFR in the 172 then do the southern route. El Paso, Phoenix and then start cutting North. West side of the Sierras, following the 5. Yeah a couple of high MEA's through northern Cali, Southern Oregon. If you go any where other than the southern route, you can't make the MEA's plus you will be getting ice. Hope this helps.

Great information, thanks everyone.

Sleddriver- Yeah, i guess I chose my words poorly about FLG. It's certainly not low country. Other than the large peak north of the airport though, the route is relatively flat compared to some of the surrounding areas though.

User- I've got another instructor from our FBO going with me most likely.

I would recommend IFR for the whole trip, much easier and you do not have to worry about pop up TFR's and such. IFR always keeps you out of trouble in unfamiliar areas.

Personally the only time I fly VFR anymore is for the sightseeing trips. Personal preference I guess, I just prefer IFR, makes life much much easier in big cities and weather related issues.

Till your picking up ice and falling out of the sky. The pleasures of flying is being able to go VFR and not talk to a soul. That is freedom, IFR is for the birds in a light aircraft.

Latest resources

Back