Flying around LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Throttlebender

Hey guys, I'm going to be flying out to Cali for several weeks of aerial survey work. We are shooting all of LA county(I know it's gonna be intense!)

Anyway, I've never been out there before and need to find the best airport. I want good service, close hotels(less travel and traffic) but would still like to be close to the action. Any tips? Leaving in a couple of days.

Thanks

Throttlebender said:
Hey guys, I'm going to be flying out to Cali for several weeks of aerial survey work. We are shooting all of LA county(I know it's gonna be intense!)

Anyway, I've never been out there before and need to find the best airport. I want good service, close hotels(less travel and traffic) but would still like to be close to the action. Any tips? Leaving in a couple of days.

Thanks

What kind of airplane? What kind of action do you want to be close to? There are lots of airports close to hotels and different kinds of action.

Well unfortunately I have to fly the Navajo out there cause the job is a low level one(3000AGL) so the commander is out. Love long trips don't you? ;)

We'll be there for 2-3 weeks. I've got friends in Hollywood so I'll like to hang out with them when I can. Our window to shoot is from 10 til 1 everyday(lots of free time). I've also got a friend out there that surfs so I thought I'd give that a shot also. I'm leanin toward KBUR. Seems like a nice sized spot that isn't too in the way. Hell, I'm even bringin an extra pilot just to be my look out and talk on the radio. This is going to be a logistics nightmare. There isn't a portion of LA county that we don't have to cover. We've even got to shoot LAX.

Did orange county about 5 months ago.... I flew out of signature at john wayne for part of the time...always free cookies and what not. Theres a quality in with a free cook to order breakfast, free dinner 3 nights a week, and managers reception everynight. I think it was 70 a night. Its only about 10 minutes from the airport.

Photoflight said:
Did orange county about 5 months ago.... I flew out of signature at john wayne for part of the time...always free cookies and what not. Theres a quality in with a free cook to order breakfast, free dinner 3 nights a week, and managers reception everynight. I think it was 70 a night. Its only about 10 minutes from the airport.

Your choice of KBUR is close to Hollywood enough. KVNY and KSMO are too. There is a flurry of activity in the mornings out of KBUR and you'll have to contend with airlines but it isn't too bad. Surfing is good along the south facing beaches from Santa Ana-John Wayne to Seal Beach. I'm not sure about the West facing beaches. Out of Burbank there is a lot of activity at Universal Studio's City Walk and other places. Try Tommy's on San Fernando road (chilli fries) as well and be sure to try In-n-Out Burgers someplace in the Southland. Hope you enjoy yourself.

You need to check out Hawthorn (HHR) which is right near LAX. It's a small field (not very busy which is good for you) with a small FBO but the service is top notch and will be a perfect fit for a PA31. The guys at the FBO there provided what was basically the best service that I've ever seen. As far as I'm concerned, you can pretty much forget any of those other airports and FBOs when going to LA. I went in there about a month ago with our F900 and stayed up in the valley and the drive was no problem. From HHR, you can get to the 405 in about 5 mins with no traffic.

Hennessy's @ Manhattan Beach. Wednesday night is "Catholic Schoolgirl Night". Plaid skirts and knee socks. Uh-huh. Can't pry our mechanic outta there... :D TC

I would skip VNY to be honest. The good hotels (Hilton, Marriott) are about 9 miles from here, and the closest ones aren't all that great -- the express types and what not. I'm not to thrilled with the VNY/BUR area personally, so I'll second the ideas of SMO and HHR. Beware that SMO fuel prices are very high.

I fly out of KVNY when doing 135 work, but I live closer to KSMO and have instructed there and have flown out of there for pleasure. The marine layer can affect access to the airport--there is no precision approach there--and there is also a departure (engine-start) curfew, but the westside location and the beach proximity is nice. Closer to that Hennessy's action AA717 mentioned. Thanks for that info, by the way. I live a few miles from Manhattan Beach and, while I have been to Hennessy's a few times in the past, was not aware of the Wed. night theme. Anyway, if the curfew and the marine layer are not a problem (and the marine layer usually isn't this time of year), SMO could be for you. SMO has an informative website and KVNY website can be accessed through Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA). Have fun.

Latest resources

Back