Flying, a dead end career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

I had a DE tell me once, "the problem with aviation is that there is NEVER a light at the end of the tunnel." I think I understand now what he meant. I also have heard, "the problem with aviation is that the good jobs don't last, and the bad jobs just won't go away". Am I the only one thinks that these two statement are a reality?

What kind of experience did you have when you got your first "good" job. Was it your expereince or someone that you knew that got you the job? Is there anything that we as pilots can do to improve our industry? Are you happy with your choice to become a pilot?

Last edited:
Way2Broke said:
I had a DE tell me once, "the problem with aviation is that there is NEVER a light at the end of the tunnel." I think I understand now what he meant. I also have heard, "the problem with aviation is that the good jobs don't last, and the bad jobs just won't go away". Am I the only one thinks that these two statement are a reality?

What kind of experience did you have when you got your first "good" job. Was it your expereince or someone that you knew that got you the job? Is there anything that we as pilots can do to improve our industry? Are you happy with your choice to become a pilot?

I find the job is good, its the career that sucks! We could all come up with a million reasons why it sucks but mostly its competition driven by greed.

If you thought at 3,000 hours you'd be sitting in your second home in Europe drinking umbrella drinks at the pool with your trophy wife and matching lamberghini sportcars in the driveway, while on your twenty days off a month from your 350K a year widebody heavy iron international flying job and it didn't happen like dat, you might just get the impression that flying is a dead end career.

FN FAL said:
If you thought at 3,000 hours you'd be sitting in your second home in Europe drinking umbrella drinks at the pool with your trophy wife and matching lamberghini sportcars in the driveway, while on your twenty days off a month from your 350K a year widebody heavy iron international flying job and it didn't happen like dat, you might just get the impression that flying is a dead end career.

I did think that by 3000 hours I would be able to afford to pay my bills. I think that is reasonable.

Any one who gets into aviation for the money is a FOOL. It has always been that way, even back in the days of "pre-deregulation". If you're in the business for the money today; well, you're an even bigger fool. That's not to say that there aren't well paying jobs out there (and plenty of them to go around for the well qualified among us), but just as it's alway been - it takes a lot of tenacity and a certain amount of luck to find them. But how is that really so different from just about any other career field?

'Sled

Way2Broke said:

I hate to quote myself, but I did ask some very open ended questions here to get some advise and all I have gotten so far is money money money. I care much more about QOL than money, hince the screen name. I was hoping some other people sharing their experiences might help guide some people like myself on making the "next step".

OK, maybe I got a head of myself. I think the correct answer is...

It normally takes both - proper experience AND proper connections - to get a "good" job.

You get the experience through quality time in the left seat. And it takes time to get the experience. I've seen guys with three or four thousand hours of dual given who think that they are somehow qualified for a "real" flying job. The problem is that ofttimes they have little or no real world experience. (Even with an ATP certificate in their pocket.) They way you get real world experience is by flying in the real (as opposed to the "training") world. Period.

Along with having the proper experience you need to have the proper connections. That normally required an extensive amount of networking. After that, all it takes is time and a certain amount of luck. Eventually, it will all work out. We've all been in your position. It's called paying your dues.

'Sled

Way2Broke said:

Both are true.

Find an aviation (or non aviation) job that can pay the minimum bills and has
alot of free time. Then go back to school in an unrelated area.

I'm taking the business route. It may not be my solution, but it IS an option.

CE

And here I am figuring if I should fly for a living or become a patent attorney.:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm seeing through rose-colored glasses, but I figure I could just (evnetually) get a job at Netjets and after years with the company be making a 6 figure salary.

FN FAL said:

I could find a lot more fun things to do with 20 days off!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back