• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLYi flies for bankruptcy (Chp. 11)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry to hear this news, but I'm not very surprised. I figure it's me. A lot of what I touch turns to crap. First Express One, now ACA/FlyI, and I'm sure at least 2 FBOs I worked for have bitten it.

I suggest everyone dump any Comcast stock they may be holding now. I've doing this for two years now, that may be enough to put them under.

Sincerely, good luck to all my one-time colleagues.

"After careful consideration, we have concluded that a court-supervised restructuring will allow us to complete our cost-savings initiatives while seeking outside investors or purchasers, and represents the best solution for Independence Air, our customers, employees, creditors and the communities we serve,” said Kerry Skeen, Chairman and CEO of FLYi, Inc."

Thank goodness Kerry Skeen has a plan. And here I was thinking this guy was in over his head.

Flyi, now in chapter 11, dumps the CRJ (all are now leased), leaving them with airbuses.

Sir Rick invests in flyi, aprox. 49% of the companys worth (allowing him to skirt around Cabbotage laws). Along with Skeen and Moores' shares, they collectively take control of flyi (now VirginAmerica).

Other investors notice the backing and the fact that the airline, now operating without the CRJ's, can be a good thing and jump on board.

Sir Rick gets what he wants, Flyi gets what they want, and everyone is happy!! Well except for the pilots, they get the shaft again working for Virgin and their bottom-feedind, low paid ways.

As Crammer would say...."I'M OUT!!!

On the Auction block

Independence Air goes on block By Marilyn Adams, USA TODAY
In a long-shot bid to survive, 17-month-old discounter Independence Air filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy-court protection Monday.
clear.gif
flyi-inside.jpg
clear.gif
Flyi chief executive Kerry Skeen said the airline suffered from bad timing.
clear.gif
Tim Dillon, USA TODAYDulles, Va.-based Flyi, the corporate parent of Independence Air, asked a Delaware bankruptcy judge to authorize an auction of the airline, in whole or part, in a bid to raise cash.
clear.gif
NEED MORE?
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
bullet.gif
Find the latest airline industry news in our Flights section.
clear.gif
clear.gif
The airline, which operates 230 daily flights and flies mainly in the East, said the filing has no immediate effect on its schedule. But its business plan, based on rock-bottom fares and extensive use of small 50-seat jets, has drawn skepticism from the start.
Analysts such as Ray Neidl of Calyon Securities expressed doubt Monday that an investor will emerge to buy the entire money-losing carrier. He and others said Independence may be forced to liquidate.
Said Neidl: "We did not believe that (Independence's) model of using regional jets as a low-cost airline was ever feasible."
Aviation consultant Mike Boyd of Evergreen, Colo., called the bankruptcy filing "inevitable" and said, "I would suspect this thing will collapse," he said.
The filing follows deep schedule cuts announced last month by the upstart airline that until 2004 made its money by flying under contract as a feeder to United and Delta.
The carrier joins bigger airlines in operating under bankruptcy protection, including United, Delta, Northwest and discounter ATA. US Airways recently exited bankruptcy.
Independence, based at Washington Dulles airport, said Monday it expects to keep flying its schedule for 60 days during the proposed auction process. Whether the carrier's $24 million in available cash, plus revenue from ticket sales, is enough to keep it afloat for that long remains unclear. In an interview, CEO Kerry Skeen, who guided the corporate transition from a contract flier known as Atlantic Coast to an independent carrier, said the company has reached out to a "substantial number" of potential investors without success.
In a bankruptcy auction, bidders could make offers on the entire airline or just certain aircraft or gates at Dulles or elsewhere.
"More money needs to come into the company for us to continue," Skeen said in an interview. "There is value here."
Skeen blames high fuel prices for his airline's financial crisis. He declined to say how fast cash is disappearing. To keep costs down, other low-fare airlines use full-size jets to spread costs over far more seats. Independence now flies 12 full-size Airbus jets, but most of its fleet is small jets.
During the second quarter, Independence burned nearly $500,000 cash a day, according to financial statements.
If the carrier shuts down, United, Delta and US Airways are likely to benefit from the diminished competition from Independence, which, at times, has sold one-way tickets as low as $29.
if (((new String(navigator.type))==4)&&((new String(navigator.version)).indexOf("4.")!=-1)){ //setTimeout necessary for Netscape4 to render button window.setTimeout("MM_showHideLayers('rightsLinkNSlyr','','show');", 500); } else { eval(document.getElementById("rightsLinkButton").innerHTML = ''); } function RightslinkPopUp(){ var url = "https://s100.copyright.com/AppDispatchServlet"; var location = url + "?publisherName=" + escape( "USATODAY" ) // required, hard-coded + "&publication=" + escape( "USATODAY" ) // required, hard-coded + "&title=" + escape( "Independence files for bankruptcy " ) // required + "&publicationDate=" + escape( "11/07/2005") // required + "&author=" + escape( "By Marilyn Adams, USA TODAY" ) + "&contentID=" + escape( "http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-11-07-flyi-bankruptcy_x.htm" ) // required + "&orderBeanReset=true"; // required, hard-coded PopUp = window.open( location, "Rightslink", "toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=650,height=550"); }

Latest resources

Back