Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SiuDude

Internet tough guy
Just bought a ticket for next week from IAD to ORD for $108 roundtrip including all taxes. According to Greyhound's website, their fare is $173, and Amtrak wants $153. Thankfully, no other airline is matching this fare, yet.

I just calculated the cost of driving: $130 in gas, plus wear & tear on the car.

Kerry to BOD: If we can just get a customer base till.......

BOD: Till when Kerry.....??

Kerry [checking his golden parachute rigging]

BOD: kerry?......Kerry!.......KERRY!!!!

SiuDude said:
Just bought a ticket for next week from IAD to ORD for $108 roundtrip including all taxes. According to Greyhound's website, their fare is $173, and Amtrak wants $153. Thankfully, no other airline is matching this fare, yet.

And the reason for their huge losses!!!!!!!

SiuDude said:

Well you bought the ticket right? How much more were you willing to pay? My point is that if they are tapping into a group that will not pay more than that and they have otherwise empty seats on their aircraft than this pricing may very well be increasing their revenue. Not to cover fully allocated costs but to generate some versus no revenue. This is the plight of many airlines today as we have too many seats chasing too few passengers. Really the only way to drive fares up substantially is to have some airlines go out of business, thus reducing the number of seats in the market. Until that happens you will find lots of these kinds of "bargains". It might be FLYI ( most likely ) as welll as others but it is going to happen because this type of incremental pricing can't sustain any airline.

theo said:
Well you bought the ticket right? How much more were you willing to pay? My point is that if they are tapping into a group that will not pay more than that and they have otherwise empty seats on their aircraft than this pricing may very well be increasing their revenue. Not to cover fully allocated costs but to generate some versus no revenue. This is the plight of many airlines today as we have too many seats chasing too few passengers. Really the only way to drive fares up substantially is to have some airlines go out of business, thus reducing the number of seats in the market. Until that happens you will find lots of these kinds of "bargains". It might be FLYI ( most likely ) as welll as others but it is going to happen because this type of incremental pricing can't sustain any airline.

Very well put.

theo said:
because this type of incremental pricing can't sustain any airline.

And the pilots jobs it provides. Notice I didn't say careers.....

Got Plan B? cuz it ain't flying jets......Cuz...

8HourPilot said:
What is the jump seat policy over at INDY?

Unlimited. And there are plenty of seats.

Think of what kind of customers they are attracting. Not to put anyone down but I look at the pax on our planes sometimes and think what the heck were you thinking walking out the door this morning. Before I started flying I still dressed decent when flying.

We're attracting all the low lifes out there that have no ounce of class in them that are rude to our F/A's and have no interest in personal hygeine. Please let them ride their greyhounds once again!

Latest resources

Back