Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SiuDude

Internet tough guy
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031783545433&path=!newsupdates

Last edited:
Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Passenger injured when plane landing gear collapses at P.T.I.

the associated press

GREENSBORO, N.C.
An airline passenger was taken to the hospital Tuesday after the front landing gear of an Independence Air regional jet collapsed while passengers were about to leave the plane, an airport executive said.

Independence flight 1784 from Dulles Airport had arrived at Piedmont Triad International Airport shortly before noon, airport executive director Ted Johnson said.

The plane pulled up to a gate and crews were blocking the wheels and attaching lines to supply air and electricity when the gear gave way, dropping the front of the jet several feet, Johnson said.

"It's quite weird. I've never seen anything like it," he said.

The 50-seat Bombardier CRJ-200 carried 33 passengers and a three-member crew, said Independence Air spokesman Rick DeLisi.

A passenger standing near the door suffered a "minor shoulder injury," was examined after leaving the plane and taken to a hospital for further examination, DeLisi said.

The lone flight attendant was flown back to Dulles on another Independence jet to seek possible treatment, he said.

Johnson said it appeared the passenger suffered only bumps and scrapes.

A safety team was examining what went wrong, DeLisi said, and would work with Bombardier to determine the cause.

I wonder what made it just give....

I know when the rampers get the tow bar from the 170 it sometimes feels like they are using all of their might to get the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing off the nosewheel....

Is that how it is on the crj?? I thought the rampers use a tug that just lifts the nose wheel up on the rjs??

from a bombardier memo dated October 2002

SUBJECT: Nose Landing Gear Selector Valve (NLGSV) P/N 750006000 Un-
Commanded Retraction
DISCUSSION:
Recently, a CRJ aircraft experienced an un-commanded nose landing gear (NLG)
retraction, forcing the NLG to move forward against its wheel chock. The issue occurred
during a turnaround, while maintenance was being performed, immediately after the
battery master switch was turned off with #3 hydraulic pumps running. This was later
duplicated with the aircraft on jacks and resolved by replacing the NLG selector valve.
During the investigation of this event, Bombardier Aerospace was informed that there
was, in quarantine, a second NLG selector valve that exhibited the same symptoms.
Bombardier Aerospace and Tactair Fluid Controls are actively investigating these issues
and all operators will be informed of their findings and provide an action plan to resolve
them.
RECOMMENDATION:
To prevent further issues, Bombardier Aerospace strongly recommends all operators to
adhere to the practice of using the gear lock pins (AMM Task 10-11-00-400-801/802) as
indicated in the CRJ100/200 AMM and AFM. Towing activities must never take place
unless the gear lock pins are installed. In addition, powering down the electrical systems
and daily maintenance activities should also be carried out with the gear lock pins and the
wheel chocks in place.

Hmmm..strange indeed. Same thing happened to one of our E145's couple years ago. I believe it was attached to a tug via a towbar at the time and had somehow been damaged during the towing process.

Traumahawk said:
Makes ya think twice before pulling the pins in the morning eh??

I am pretty sure you wouldnt even get them out if there was weight on the pin.

EMB170Pilot said:
I wonder what made it just give....

I know when the rampers get the tow bar from the 170 it sometimes feels like they are using all of their might to get the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing off the nosewheel....

Is that how it is on the crj?? I thought the rampers use a tug that just lifts the nose wheel up on the rjs??

Maybe they took it to 410 (dude) and it was too much stress for the gear.:D

Latest resources

Back