• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLYI closes doors...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They have been in Chapter 11 for some time. Don't recall the exact date. Unfortunately for them they were not able to attract any new capital to continue operations and Ch.7 is the unfortunate result.

No one wants to loan FlyI money, because their business model is not workable.The regionals, flying high-cost RJs, don't have a business model that works without big-daddy major airline feeding them via a fee-for-departure guaranteed profit.

With FlyI, Mesaba, and Expressjet we're just seeing the start of managements squeeze of the regionals airline employees. Get ready boys and girls, take a look at Mesa, because that's the standard you're heading towards.

Ever notice how the profitable airlines (SW and JetBlue) don't have small jets? The legacies and regionals are welded to each other, their business models are impossible to change without implosion at the major airline.

This country needs to decide what kind of airline system it wants to have. Airlines are much too capital intensive to react fast to huge changes in economic conditions. What I think we need is a general strike for a couple of days by regional pilots. See how Joe-sixpack and Bill businessman likes NOT having convenient and timely service from secondary cities. There would be a howl you could hear in South America.

Last edited:
propjockey said:
A Pyrrhic victory (pronounced pirric) is a victory which is won at too great a cost for the victor.

This story is more like the "The Fugitive" where a prisoner narrowly escapes execution and, while on his own, faces seemingly insurmountable obstacles to regaining control of his life. Unfortunately, this story didn't work out as well for INDY as it did for Harrison Ford but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have given it a shot. Separating from UAL was the proper thing to do. It's just too bad that the new business didn't work out.

Turtlesfly said:
Unfortunately, not just for you guys does this suck, but now this gives ammunition to the other regionals/majors asking for concessions . . . "well look what happened to Independence! If you don't take this, this is going to happen to you too!" Just what we need is to give the dark side more power . . . .

best of luck to all you who deserved better

ASA managment has already fired it at us.

Wish it would have turned out better, had a lot of friends there.

GO AROUND said:
ASA managment has already fired it at us.

Wish it would have turned out better, had a lot of friends there.

No doubt . . . now at XJT we can't take them now anymore anyways :(

Hello,
A very sad day for the industry, I'm sure that there will be some jockeying for the traffic/capacity of FLYi, but more importantly the former employees find a new job quickly. Thanks for the J/S and best of luck to all Blue Ridgers.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

RJ wings on flatbeds

Sad day indeed. Best of luck to all over there. I made a lot of great friends there and hate to see them, or anyone, go through this.

Maybe I missed it on another thread out there, but maybe some of you guys still at Indy can answer this. What are they doing down in CAE with the RJs? A friend of mine told me that they are taking the wings off of the RJs and shipping them somewhere on flatbed trucks. Sounds like that place has turned into an aircraft chop shop. Seems that it would be cheaper to just fly them to the desert. Anyway, I was just curious.

Best of luck to you all....actually to everyone. The way this industry is going, we're all going to need it.

AviatorTx said:
Shame.. If anyone was going to tank in the last four years, I was sure it would have been US Air. Go figure...

Part of Dumb and Dumbers (Tom and Kerry, the Dymanic Duo of FLYI) business plan was USAIR shutting down. Fact is when your plan to win includes the competition not even showing up, when they fully intend to is D-U-M-B.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back