Fly in military without 20/20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RiddleEagle18 said:
any guys able to get into the flight program without 20/20. and corrective surgeries allowed? Thanks

The Navy will take one but not the other... PRK or Lasik. Which ever one dosen't involve cutting the eye. Can never remember.

Army doesn't require 20/20 but doesn't allow surgeries...yet. They're doing a test program, don't know if results are out and if anything has changed because of it tho.

Depends upon how hard they are looking for pilots.
Back in 1965 when I took my entrance physical for Navy flight Training, my right eye was a little weak on near vision; I was having trouble reading the 20/20 line. Finally the corpsman ask the Doc what he should do, the Doc said call it 20/20 he is really close and we have to put in X number of pilots this month. The crank up for Vietnam had started. I had been doing a lot studying coming up on finals, so it could have been that going to college almost cost me my chance to get into Navy Flight Training. Back then you did not need a college degree to get into Navy Flight Training's NavCad program. BTW I had no trouble with 20/20 for the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Air Force rules: 20/70 corrected to 20/20; near vision 20/40 corrected to 20/20. They will allow only one type of corrective surgery and I can't remember which one. Check with a recuiter or better an AF flight sugeon because all other corrctive surgeries are disqualifing with no waivers!

Last I checked in the Air Force, you can have up to 20/70 correctable to 20/20. We had a chik in our unit get a waiver for PRK, but she said LASIK was not allowed. That was about a year ago though so I would check on that one.

Still the same, PRK is allowed, LASIK isn't. Each service has different parameters that have to be met, meaning your eyes can only be X.XX bad before the surgery, and post-surgery you must wait 3-6-12 months depending on service before applying, to show your vision is stabilized and good.

It kinda sucks.....

I'm in the same boat, otherwise I'd probably try to go military. Look on the bright side..... pretty soon they won't need pilots anyway cause of all this UAV stuff. Hahaa.

Make sure you do your homework with the vision stuff, and good luck.

9GClub said:
I'm in the same boat, otherwise I'd probably try to go military. Look on the bright side..... pretty soon they won't need pilots anyway cause of all this UAV stuff. Hahaa.

Make sure you do your homework with the vision stuff, and good luck.

Seen Stealth to many times have we?

As of Apr '05 the Navy allows up to 20/400 as long as you can wear soft contact lenses. They have specific prescription limits, and a few hurdles to jump thru, but it opens it up to a lot of people that would never have been allowed in otherwise. Lasik is an automatic disqualifier.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back