Fly-BVI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lostdog65

Just got a solicitation from FLY-BVI. http://www.fly-bvi.com Anybody have any skinny on them? QOL in BVI/Tortula/San Juan? Living conditions? Good, bad or indifferent, I would like to know...sounds interesting.

Eric

Eric, I lived and flew out of St. Thomas in 1993-1994. I suspect that Fly-BVI is under different ownership now. The owner-pilot at the time was a very nice West Indian who let us jump seat anywhere.

I really enjoyed the British Virgin Islands (BVI) and the people there. I flew there probably 10 times per week. Crime there is very low, so low that the police do not carry firearms. The U.S. side is just the opposite, i.e. high crime.

The BVI's are spectacular, with great diving and all water sports. The weather is great all year around and only changes temperature a small amount seasonally.

Everyone that I worked with in St. Thomas would have preferred to move to the BVI's. I am not sure of the cost of housing there, but probably less expensive than St. Thomas.

Flying in general around the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico is a lot of fun. It is rarely IMC and the view is always great.

Personally I really like Puerto Rico. San Juan is a big city with big city problems, but stay out of the problem areas, i.e. the projects. The largest mall in the Caribbean is located there (Mall of the Americas). I find Puerto Ricans to be very nice and helpful people.

Housing costs in Puerto Rico are much more reasonable and you have more choices there, i.e. homes, condos, etc. Learning some Spanish would go a long ways there, as Spanish is the first language and English is the second language. Anyone with a HS education should be able to speak English.

Island living is not for everyone, as far as the Virgin Islands, as they are very small. I frequently felt a little "island fever" there and flying off the island helped a lot. Puerto Rico is quite large so you don't get that feeling.

The only real negative with flying is having to clear customs at every landing. The USVI are outside the customs zone, so when you fly from there to Puerto Rico you have to clear customs. This of course goes for the BVI's, as they are a British Crown Colony. This is really a minor inconvenience. I found the customs folks to be very helpful. The immigration people in San Juan were jerks. We used to bring the customs/immigration folks at Beef Island pizzas from St. Thomas. They loved us!

Schooling is a big problem in the USVI, kind of like Hawaii. You must send your kids to Montessori or similar. I don't know anything about the schools in PR, but would presume that you would need to send any kids to private school unless they are fluent in Spanish.

Cheers,

Check 6...you are just a fount of knowledge...thanks for the input. Not sure wifey would be too thrilled but I, for one, would love to live the island life for a few years...or until I get wiped out by a hurricane!!

Eric

Eric, my wife really liked it down there. The thing about PR is that it is still part of the U.S., so it is not that difficult to adjust, not like my 6+ years in Italy (we loved it there also, but a little longer to adjust). We loved driving around the complete perimeter of PR. I have also flown the complete coastline in a helo.

You can get a condo on the beach near San Juan in a secure facility for a reasonable price, with pool etc. Most outfits have jump seat agreements. I used to jump seat to different islands via American Eagle, BVI, and Four Star Air Cargo.

Cheers

What do you mean "solicitation?" Sorry for the stupid question but I live down here and never have figured out how to get on with them. I see them all over the place though.

Way2Broke...

I got a response from an ad I placed on Find-A-Pilot (thanks John!). No offense, but looking at your profile compared to mine, I have a bit more total time. He also liked my 400 series Cessna time and CP experience as well as Check Airman stuff I did at the USFS.

He practically made the offer over the phone today. Need to discuss it with the wife. Mainly piston twins...no turbine equip. Apparently high-dollar clientele. Pay is more than I make now but less than what is being dangled in my face (That "more" pay is a "definite maybe").

So Way2Broke...how's island living? Family friendly in PR or more of a bachelor's paradise?

Thanks again Check 6...as always you're in the know...

Eric

It certainly takes alot of adjusting. The BVIs are alot safer than the USVI. We are moving back to the states next month, but for personal reasons. Things here move slowwwwwwww. And sometimes we really miss all the people back in the states. Living on an island you see the same people over and over again. And its getting ready to be hurricane season again. Also, it is very expensive to move down, and I would ask for some type of moving allowence. I would highly, highly recommend a pre-move visit. Its really hard to explain what its like. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to raise a family here. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Oh ya, one more thing. Don't be fooled by the better pay. A dollar here is not the same as a dollar in the states. Electric, rent, and food here can be very expensive.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back