fltplan.com question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetboy

Does fltplan.com constitute a legal weather briefing, or do you still need to call FSS when using this service? Citing of sources in all replys would be beneficial. Thanks.

I still file with the FSS just to be on the safe side, even with VFR flights
that way I know they have it and it's cheap insurance if any thing goes wrong

When ever I've had a question with FltPlan I call. Their tech help is fantastic.

I believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the only other place that the FAA considers a "legal briefing" is if you use DUATS.com.

I realize that they don't apply to everyone, but I know that some operators Part 135 ops specs allow WSI to be used as FAA approved weather on Pt135 flights.

As far as fltplan.com goes, the little disclaimer at the top of the screen that says something like "This is not official FAA weather" says to me that it's no good. My only question is, how did I ever live before fltplan.com? Life is way too easy now and I'm pretty sure I've forgotten how to do my own flight planning at this point.

As far as the Internet goes, they have to be a QICP. See AC 00-62. www.fltplan.com is not as yet - I asked the question and never got an answer. They have a disclaimer that you have to contact FSS to get a weather briefing.

This is what I thought and I appreciate the replys. Even if it is "legal" there is no proof that you obtained approved weather except by calling FSS. I prefer they share some of the responsibility to throughly brief me.

record of brief

The only one I know of is FSS or DUATS because they have a record of the briefing.

I don't think looking at anything online without a password, and being an official weather provider, constitutes a "legal Briefing"

my 2 cents

Jetboy said:
Does fltplan.com constitute a legal weather briefing, or do you still need to call FSS when using this service? Citing of sources in all replys would be beneficial. Thanks.

Jetboy,

Great question! the only thing that constitutes a "legal" weather briefing is to talk to FSS. A duats route briefing is not a legal briefing (or Fltplan.com). You must talk to FSS to check that block.

On the common sense side, why not talk to FSS to preserve this source before it becomes obsolete? If you're in a hurry and the weather is fine, than get what you can via a reliable source (WSI, fltplan or duats) and go. If you're concerned w/CYA than talk to FSS.

To get the big picture weather wise use fltplan.com or duats before you talk to FSS. Know what your concerns are so you can get some more info.

Fly safe,
DR Beeper

Latest resources

Back