• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLOPS SOLD? Fact or Fiction!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a big deal. The Carlyle Group is one of the most powerful private equity firms out there - John Major (the former Prime Minister of England) is a London-based partner of this firm. It has a number of aviation interests - which should help. I would view this as a positive if it is true.

It is my opinion and business experience that the sell was complete when a change of CEO's was announced. It is common business practice amongst large corporations. Now will They pleaz hire some freakin people!!!

May I will stop hearing: "When are you going to get your contract done, so we can get a pay raise?" from the the FO guys?

Maybe we will start asking: "Is FO hiring?" :D

I wouldn't get to excited. Not to bust anyones balls at NJ but look who owns them. BH or Uncle Warren and it's not like their checks are busting at the seams. Just because a big wealthy company owns you doesn't mean that the employees will benefit.

I am still looking to get out quick.

You don't make big profits in aviation if you spend all of your money on employees.
I think they will worry more about the share holders than the pilots.

Dep676 said:
I wouldn't get to excited. Not to bust anyones balls at NJ but look who owns them. BH or Uncle Warren and it's not like their checks are busting at the seams. Just because a big wealthy company owns you doesn't mean that the employees will benefit.

I am still looking to get out quick.
Hey, with that 800XP experience, you can apply to Netjets!

jetwash said:
You don't make big profits in aviation if you spend all of your money on employees.
I think they will worry more about the share holders than the pilots.
Yeah I know that is why I am saying don't get to excited about some big time investment firm possibly buying us (Options).

Nice ad for the Carlyle Group on the previous page, but here is the fact of the matter:

Yes Carlyle is all of those things, they are also heavily financed through the Saudi's

The most important thing about Carlyle is that they are an investment group and to make money for their investors they buy companies, expand them and make them bigger. They put tremendous pressure on their companies by forcing wage, raise, benefit etc.... cuts. I am sure they would not think twice about sacrificing maint. and safety areas to turn a buck.

dalegribble said:
Nice ad for the Carlyle Group on the previous page, but here is the fact of the matter:

Yes Carlyle is all of those things, they are also heavily financed through the Saudi's

The most important thing about Carlyle is that they are an investment group and to make money for their investors they buy companies, expand them and make them bigger. They put tremendous pressure on their companies by forcing wage, raise, benefit etc.... cuts. I am sure they would not think twice about sacrificing maint. and safety areas to turn a buck.
So, you're suggesting Gemini Air Cargo (also owned by Carlyle Group) is unsafe? Its record says otherwise... Look, you wouldn't invest in anything if it wouldn't ultimately give you a good return on investment (ROI). As far as I am concerned, it is better to be backed by a group with serious cash than a group with little resources...

It may be true that the Saudis have bankrolled this group, but some pretty reputable people work for Carlyle including James Baker (former Secretary of State under Bush Sr.), Frank Carlucci (former Defense Secretary) and John Major (former Prime Minister of England). Not too shabby... I'll bet that Colin Powell makes his way to Carlyle Group after he retires from the Government (Carlyle Group is based in Washington D.C.).

I would say that growth (potentially in Europe like Netjets) would be a distinct possibility because they won't be able to cut pilot salaries that much without getting a big backlash - not good in a service business... Revenue growth with slight margin contraction is probably the big aim - including stunting NJA's growth in Europe and the Middle East most likely. Who knows? We could see some serious fleet upgrades and growth in aircraft numbers - it could happen to increase the overall "value" of the venture for Carlyle... Cost cutting alone won't boost the value in the event they want to ultimately sell it or take it public. It should be interesting.

Last edited:
dalegribble said:

Who funds the Saudis? We do!

Latest resources

Back