Floatplane Pilots: PFD question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Frozen Ronin

I've been gathering wisdom on PFD jackets, and I'm not done yet. All points of view are welcome.

I'm looking at various jackets with either built in flotation material, like Mustang has, or with bladders and CO2 cartridges.

I've considered the two schools of thought; one being that automatic deployment and bouyant material jackets make egress from a submerged airframe difficult or impossible. The other that if you're knocked unconsious, it's the only chance you'll have of staying afloat (assuming you've been ejected during the ditching).

Any personal experiences, jackets of choice, etc would be greatly appreciated. We fly Beavers and Otters on floats in SE Alaska.

Thanks,

Ronin

Mustang survival - http://www.mustangsurvival.com/ has all the variations you might want. They seem to be an industry standard for the inflatble PFD's. For aircraft use I would definately not get the auto inflating. I would assume that you'll be consious after ditching. If you aren't the chances of being thrown clear is probably slim anyway.

I have a couple of thier auto inflating for marine use and they are comfortable.

Do not buy auto-inflating for aircraft use. And if you guys are on floats, consider buying HEED's bottles and getting everyone trained to use them. Might save ya if you tip over.

I wore a Mustang inflatable vest at work for 12 years. I recommend Mustang.

Thank you, gentlemen!

Hadn't used a Heeds bottle, before. Looks pretty cool. I'll have to save up my allowance.

I understand that even on the boats here, the auto deployment types that use a dissolving disc don't work, due to the constant high humidity. They disolve without warning.

Thanks,

Ronin

Latest resources

Back