Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
when is rush hour at KFLL, for the middle of week? Need to depart and climb up to altitude as quick as possible, due to long cross country west bound towards San Antonio, TX against headwinds.

Don't want to be #6 in line for takeoff either or held down low for too long.

Even contemplated the old freight dog depart VFR, pickup IFR enroute but not sure how well received ATC is to that in FLL

any pointers appreciated, have not operated out of FLL in about 8 years

when is rush hour at KFLL, for the middle of week? Need to depart and climb up to altitude as quick as possible, due to long cross country west bound towards San Antonio, TX against headwinds.

Even contemplated the old freight dog depart VFR, pickup IFR enroute but not sure how well received ATC is to that in FLL

Looking at Flightaware:
http://flightaware.com/analysis/graphs/airport/KFLL

It looks like the earlier you can get out, the better. It peaks out around 1200, and stays that way until around 2000 (consistent 7 days/wk). Can you take the small runway (9R - 5276'?). It's right by Sheltair, and we never have to wait long for it.

You could do that VFR trick, but you're going to have to turn out to the northeast and stay outta the way, threading your way through FLL and PBI and all the little Class Ds in the middle. We operate out of PBI, and I honestly wouldn't feel that safe operating a jet VFR south of PBI. It's extremely busy, and there are a bunch of arrivals for MIA coming through there too. After you depart, don't be surprised if they don't give you flight following (or just drop you and make you do a cold call). I think you'd waste more fuel dealing with the airspace and getting your airborne clearance than if you just left IFR.

Keep in mind that Miami center is usually very good at getting you up and on your way very quickly. Often times we never even have to level off up to our typical cruise altitude of FL450, and that's with us really hustling up through the 30s (4000+ to 2500 fpm). It's nothing like you'd experience in the northeast. There's always the rare exception, but it really is unusual to be held down for long in that area.

When we do Fltplan.com, it's usually VERY accurate when we leave from FL.

Last edited:
Ru a turbo prop or jet. If thats the case depending on if you are going out over Turbo or Arkes they may keep you down for faster traffic to go overhead. We fly a turboprop out of FLL and sometimes even in the morning I get stuck climbing out underneath the big boys that are coming off 9L/27R.

PM me if you need any more info.

Regards,

Avrat

turboprop, King Air.

wrxpilot, great info. Didnt know about that flightaware feature. Will prob just pick up IFR and fly IFR the whole way

You may know this, but if you put in the remarks section of your flight plan that you need an immediate climb, they'll work hard to get it for you. They're pretty good at taking that into account.

You may know this, but if you put in the remarks section of your flight plan that you need an immediate climb, they'll work hard to get it for you. They're pretty good at taking that into account.

I didn't know that, good to know - thanks!

I operate a BE-350 out of WPB and have flown FLL, FXE, BCT westbound many times. If its fuel you are worried about depart VFR so Miami Center does not vector you all over the place. With the current LOA PBI/MIA APP has down here with MIA Center and departure/arrival flow into the SFLA area, you may save yourself plenty of vectors they are always willing to hand out. If we depart IFR out of our home airport F45, PBI APP is always putting us on a 290 HDG & 10,000K regardless of our flight plan route. If we depart VFR, I usually pick up the clearance right from MIA Center out of 15,500, proceed on course and bypass PBI APP. Also, use 9R/27L if possible out of FLL. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Are you going to get wet or go over land?

In any case, I fly a Merlin IVc and I've found that using the long range cruise numbers for level off at lower altitudes helps to save a lot of fuel. But, our airplane is easy to do that. 10,000 feet = 200 KIAS and every 500 feet above that you subtract 1 kt, below you add 1 kt. I managed to cut 20% off my first hour fuel burn that way.

Latest resources

Back