Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EdAtTheAirport

Hey Group,

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge about South Fla., and the ever-present issue of descent affordable housing. (Yes that's housing that loses altitude. I just can't bring myself to correct it.) Looking for an 2br./3br apt or townhouse, at least initially. Where do most FLL crews settle? At what price?

Also, what exactly do people do on Lake OKE? I can't ever remember seeing any boating going on there. Is a lake a lake if it has no boats on it?

Any info on S. Fla lifestyle and prices would be welcome.

Fll/fxe

Lake Okeechobee is almost thick enough to walk on. Literally you can stick your hand in the water and not see it because of all the run off from the burned cane fields, phosphates from fertilizers and anything else corporate America can send down the Kissimmee River. The only solution is to dredge up the bottom of the lake which is about 2 feet of muck. But the large nounth bass fishing is some of the best around. Same for big catfish. In Pahokee or Clewiston, buy bags of frog legs for the fryer back home. YUM!! And don't forget about gator nuggets.

Property prices in Southern Florida are insane. I bought a two bedroom place here in '94 for $46.6K cash and the same units are now going for $225K But then I am on a large lake. Rentals can be found in the $800-1200 range with houses higher. Go to www.sun-sentinel.com and find the real estate section. If you are flying out of FLL you will want to look at Davie, Hollywood, Penbroke Pines and Dania Beach. If you are flying out of FXE you will want to look at Coral Springs, Tamarac, Lauderdale Lakes, Oakland Park.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back