• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fling Single Pilot CJ's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now, he is a successful businessman, flying his own airplane, with his own life in his hands. Will he have the time to dedicate to staying proficient so he doesn't end up killing himself, friends, and family?

The FAA, insurance industry and Cessna seem to think he (in the abstract) is capable of this. There's no denying that single-pilot owner flown jets have a worse safety record than professional, 2-crew jets. But that's a subjective matter of risk tolerance. It's not as if he's playing Russian roulette.

There is no doubt that two heads are (usually) better than one. I can tell you that about 60% of the CJ fleet is flown by owner-operators (single pilot), and that airplane has an outstanding safety history. There was a very good article in FLYING magazine about three months ago about Single pilot ops in the CJs.

Little Millionares

You would think the added safety and well being of the owners family and guests would be worth the extra cost of a low time SIC-Take some advice from someone who has worked for the very wealthy on yachts and aircraft-stay away! He will only get cheaper when he realizes he cant afford his little toy.

You would think the added safety and well being of the owners family and guests would be worth the extra cost of a low time SIC-Take some advice from someone who has worked for the very wealthy on yachts and aircraft-stay away! He will only get cheaper when he realizes he cant afford his little toy.

Just to throw some fuel on the fire, if the second body is there for safety why take a low timer?

I mean if you have an emergency or something you want someone with your level of knowledge and comfort who can HELP, not make things worse by getting lost in what is going on. This is why I never fly withone as a contractor in our airplane that is not fully typed and performance qualified.

Thats what I mean about low time SIC who is typed-About $40k a year- Cheap Insurance. That is like us getting towing coverage on our auto premiums for a extra hundred. To people who can AFFORD this aircraft that would be nothing. I cant imagine flying single pilot to Teterboro on a IMC day when there is a function in New York City. Sooner or later, you will get a violation.Too much going on and it will happen. Its happened to 2 man crews -one was retired air force airline Capt. It can be done but not real smart.Again this owner has probably no experience going into busy terminal areas and high altitude ops. I have time on a Bravo, I wouldnt even consider single pilot into TEB. Maybe Destin on a nice day.Some private owners will push you to departing when you really shouldnt. They think now they have a "jet" and they can go anywhere. Some things to consider. Most important is he is really cheap!

Latest resources

Back