Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last edited:
Chunk

Actually it doesn't matter. Ari Ben employees two flight instructors who ar ex-FSI instructors. One of which takes care of all the initial CFIs. So you see I did infact go to flight safety only I paid $25,000. As far as training according to the ORL FSDO, Flight Safety has had 2 gear up landings with an instructor onboard while Ari-Ben has had none.The difference I see between people that go to academy type schools and other schools is that the academy group need to be told what to do, similar to being in the armed forces. While the other group have the mental tools to figure it out on their own. It doesn't matter either way, I have my ratings and I am teaching about 20 hours a week in a twin. It comes down to what fits each individual. Some people need to wear uniforms, a fancy new building and brand new airplanes. Some people need the structure while others need to save the $45,000.

CUEBOAT said:
The difference I see between people that go to academy type schools and other schools is that the academy group need to be told what to do, similar to being in the armed forces. While the other group have the mental tools to figure it out on their own

I agree, having seen the academy grads instruct vs. the homegrown style CFIs. Difference is night and day, and I guess, about 45K. It cost me about 400 clams to realize that, having taken Instrument ground school with one of Florida's finest :rolleyes: You could stumble him with anything that wasn't on Jepp's DVD he used for instructing

For the record I have no problems with Ari-Ben I think it's a fine school, but I kind of wonder were this came from

Flight Safety has had 2 gear up landings with an instructor onboard while Ari-Ben has had none.

I have been at FSI over three years and there have been no gear ups during that time. How far back are you digging for this? The school has been around for something like 20years......

That guy is full of BS, it doesn't even know how to spell FlightSafety and it says it went their, I'm doing my best to ignore it.

Another FlightSafety Academy Grad.

Last edited:
Ahhhh... the old argument about how 'superior' the training is at the big schools. This is a mantra that many pilots repeat to themselves to help ease the realization that someone who spent $15K on their certificates can go just as far and know just as much as they do. It all boils down to the individual and the effort the expend. Sorry big-school boys: I've done enough airline training in the last four years to tell you there is no difference.

Here's a twist for you:

Going to a big school could put someone in the frame of mind that all they need to do is 'check the boxes' and Presto! They are a product of that school's fabulous training. "No need to excel, I'm a student at XYZ School. We are all superior."

This mentality is not so hard to envision.

FSI contract programs

A1FlyBoy said:
FSI board of directors is not loosing sleep...

AIRLINE CONTRACT TRAINING.
Absolutely correct. The contract programs are the Academy's bread and butter.

I first heard of the place because of ads it ran about the Swissair program. When I worked there Alitalia, Air France, Air Inter, Tyrolean and Asiana also had students who were training. Maybe Singapore Airlines, too - I don't quite remember after twelve years. Olympic Airlines of Greece had sent over a class of FEs who were cross-training to be pilots. All of these students were there during the year I was there. I had former students from Emirates who finished at FSI. Also, there were plenty of self-funded foreign students when I worked there. FSI was also expensive back then, but still far cheaper and easier than learning to fly in Europe.

(Thank G-d the reports that the 911 terrorists had trained at FSI were bogus.)

FSI will do fine once hiring gets better. In the meantime, with student loads down and instructors needing work, it might be a good time to train there. Shorter lines at Dispatch and more opportunties for personal attention.

big schools cost more but offer a quick route to finish your ratings and buy a job with some place like asa. It comes down to which you have more of, time or money. Good and bad instructors are everywhere.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back