flightplan timing question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjock

Is there an advantage to filing your proposed departure time 30 minutes prior to when you think/know that you are going to depart? I know the actual flightplan will be available 30 minutes prior to your proposed departure time. I am talking about having any advantage to getting you airborne quicker when there are delays. This is for a corporate airplane departing, lets say TEB, when it is busy. Thanks.

Is there an advantage to filing your proposed departure time 30 minutes prior to when you think/know that you are going to depart? I know the actual flightplan will be available 30 minutes prior to your proposed departure time. I am talking about having any advantage to getting you airborne quicker when there are delays. This is for a corporate airplane departing, lets say TEB, when it is busy. Thanks.

It doesn't hurt to file 30 minutes early, and it can be useful on the occasions when the boss calls on the cell phone an hour early and says he's 5 minutes out from the FBO. Of course, that may be an exercise in futility at TEB when flow control is in effect.

It also helps to file the flight plan the night before...my understanding is that when EDCTs and flow times are assigned, they are given in order of when you filed your flight plan, and then on your ETD. So if you and I file for the same ETD, but you got your flight plan in the system the night before and I didn't, then you'll probably get airborne before me. This comes from GDC, who handles all of our filing. If I were then to try to game the system by re-filing for an earlier ETD to beat the delays, TMU will still see my original filing time and make their decisions based on that. If I'm mistaken on how the system works, I'm sure someone will let me know!

With the new Unified Delay Program(UDP) you could miss a planned EDCT if you file much earlier than your actual planned departure time.

Company policy at some places (i think by my user name you can figure at least one of them) is to always file for 30 early, unless it involves international or landing slot programs.

With the new Unified Delay Program(UDP) you could miss a planned EDCT if you file much earlier than your actual planned departure time.

I just went through a power point presentation on UDP I found on the web. Very informative. Answered my question and then some. Thanks for heading me in the right direction.

Latest resources

Back