Flight Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CanFlyer

I have been looking at various flight schools over the last few months. I visited Comair back in August. I was impressed with the school but the cost was a little steep. I plan on visiting Pam Am and Flight Safety within the next 2 months. One other school I am looking at is North American School of Aviation in Conway, South Carolina. Costwise it is the lowest of all (about $15k for me since I already have my private). I would like anyones opinion of the school and the caliber of their pilot graduates. Thanks.

Chuck

I did my training about half a year ago in Ft Pierce Florida. The same airport as Pan Am and about 15 miles south of the airport where FlightSafety is at (Vero Beach).

I learned that flight training is al about your motivation and dicipline and off course a very good instructor. So you can have still a verry good and expensive school but an ass of an instructor or the other way around.

I' did my training at Ari Ben Aviator. Very cheap since I also already had my PPL. I did 200 hours (ME, CPL and IR incl. about 120 of time building) in the Duchess for $25.000.

And I did this in three months, pritty fast.
To be honest, I'm not really enthusiastic about the owners of the school, but I got my stuff.

Hope this helps.

PS don't forget to go to the Bahama's when you're time building!

FSI

I instructed at FSI for just over a year ten years ago. I realize things change, but I can vouch for the quality of training. You'll do most of your Commercial and instrument in multis, which is a plus. Aircraft are nice. The Cadets (Warriors) were new when I was there, so they're a bit long in the tooth by now, I'm sure, but are well maintained. I heard from a couple of reputable sources the school is purchasing 18 new Seminoles and is taking delivery of one per month. Sims and facilities are first rate. As I was leaving the school was starting to give unusual attitudes training to all students, and, I believe, they've escalated that program. Of course, if you play your cards right, you can work there as an instructor after you graduate.

Downsides are price, but, I think, you do get what you pay for. The place wasn't the best employer I ever had, but I believe that has been adjusted. Three people with whom I worked ten years ago are still there. They are high quality individuals.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

I'm going to get my soapbox out and go on a little rant here... sorry, but can't help it.

A previous response made a reference to "time building". Don't confuse training for your ratings with "time building". I would define time building as buying a large block of time in an airplane and then randomly flying around to pad one's logbook. While this is a legally acceptable way to increase one's flight time, you have to ask yourself one question: Are you learning anything from the experience? I doubt one would learn much from tooling around south Florida'a sunny skies and the Banammas for 200 hours.
There's an old saying about the benefits of flying 200 hours or flying the same hour 200 times. If you truly consider yourself an aviation professional, or wish to become one, you owe it to yourself to get as much quality experience as possible.
Get a CFI. Get a freight job up North in the winter. Do something that will diversify your pilot skills, but simply buying 200 hours and flying it off won't do much to improve your skills. And it will show up someday in an interview when your skill and knowledge doesn't match tour times.

End of rant, stepping off soapbox now.

Well I don't agree with my previous poster since you won't get any en route experience in a flight school. The only thing you do is making approaches and do one or two cross country flights and thats it.
When I got to my next job, my 200 hours helped me a lot, and I felt myself pritty home in the busy Dallas airspace.

We have a SIC programe in our company where you can see if someone has enroute experience. Most of SIC pilot's are fresh from the flying school but they don't know about whats going on during a real flight.

and next, with only your ME it's hard to find a freight job without any flightexperience. and being instructor is indeed a way of time building, but do you wanna fly thousands of hours in a 152 and not really touching the controls?

I got 1000 hours now with 900 on a multi. Flying in all kinds of weather, commercially in nice plaines, not a 150 or 172.
good luck and be safe!

Sic?

What is that same interview board going to say when you have 800 (of your 1000) SIC in a plane that is certified single pilot.

Yes I understand that your 135 type certificate says you can log it, what is the interview board going to say. The program works out if you can fly SIC for year and then get a PIC cargo job.

Instructing will teach you how to fly. You might not have 100 hours of actual, but you will know how to safely control an airplane in any situation.

If getting a job with a regional is your goal, go instruct for a couple of hundred hours, then if the opprotunity is there go fly cargo. SIC time in a 402 won't do you anygood.

Hands down, I think NAIA in Conway is your best bet, even if you had zero time. You may PM me for more details.

Hello,

Has anyone heard of or attended American Support Group Inc? Students train for a Frist Officer position then once complete fly as F/O for 500-800 hours. Anyone have an opinion about low-time pilots getting SIC time on a Lear of Hawker?:)

Pink Panther said:
and next, with only your ME it's hard to find a freight job without any flightexperience. and being instructor is indeed a way of time building, but do you wanna fly thousands of hours in a 152 and not really touching the controls?

I got 1000 hours now with 900 on a multi. Flying in all kinds of weather, commercially in nice plaines, not a 150 or 172.
good luck and be safe!

It's pretty disappointing when someone refers to instructing as “timebuilding”. I learned more during the first hundred hours giving dual then I ever did as a student. You know you've really mastered something when you can teach it well. Giving a 1000 hours of dual is going to make you a much better pilot then riding around as a second pilot in a single pilot aircraft for a 1000 hours.

Also, I was wondering, are you being paid to be a 135 SIC or are you flying for free?

Latest resources

Back