Flight Training in Florida or Texas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dominicinco

I've been thinking about moving down to Florida to get my Certificates once I finish my BA in Airport Management from SUNY Farmingdale next year. My gf wants to move to Texas around the same time, specifically San Antonio. Im ok moving to either city, but which one offers better flying and more bang for the buck when training? If I go to FLorida i'll probably end up at ERAU or something similar, get all my certificates and ratings in one shot. If I go to San Antonio i'll probably do it privately unless there is something like Flight Safety down there. Right now Im in NYC and training at Republic seems expensive.
any thoughts are appreciated.

Don't know specifics, but I'm from San Antonio and I can assure you, you will have a lot more options for training in Florida. However San Antonio does have it's options. You'll probably be best off at KSAT; International Flight Center is great, I got my PPL there. Check out Wright Flyers. There are a couple schools I think at Stinson, a small GA airport on the South side. Let me know if ya have any other questions.

it doesn't really matter where you get your training, and honestly it's always better to make the gf a happy little gal. i've gotten training both in the mid south us and in florida. honestly, i'd probably come back out from florida to do training in tx or ok.
overall it's 6 on way 1/2 dozen the other.

I work out of SAT. There are three schools at SAT, and one at Stinson (SSF).

At SAT:

I teach out of Alpha Tango aviation, It's a small place, but the cheapest on the field.

Inernational Flight Center is a good place, I rented out of there when I first arrived in town.

I've heard some good and some bad from Wright Flyers.

At SSF:

Check Six is a good school, they teach a lot of millitary pre UPT guys.

The weather isn't any better or worse than FL, and San Antonio is a really cool city.

Send me a PM if I can help.

Dominicinco said:
I've been thinking about moving down to Florida to get my Certificates once I finish my BA in Airport Management from SUNY Farmingdale next year. My gf wants to move to Texas around the same time, specifically San Antonio. Im ok moving to either city, but which one offers better flying and more bang for the buck when training? If I go to FLorida i'll probably end up at ERAU or something similar, get all my certificates and ratings in one shot. If I go to San Antonio i'll probably do it privately unless there is something like Flight Safety down there. Right now Im in NYC and training at Republic seems expensive.

go to daytona and enroll in erau and finish degree / ratings and take it from there. GF can easily be replaced. :)

FLORIDA?? Ick... God, if there's one state I wouldn't mind see get erroded into the ocean. It's flat, has the worst education system in the country, 60% of the people don't speak English, the state is obliterated by hurricanes year after year, and there's an abundance of old people and trailer trash.

In my opinion, Florida (and Los Angeles for that matter), is a place where Rodents should have $ex and that's it... Okay, maybe a few old folks homes too.

Dude dont be dissing my state! :)

Yeah I agree to a point with steveair. S. Florida is changing but oh well, what are you going to do, its a hot spot to be a real estate is booming down there so.

I went to Riddle and enjoyed it very much! The flight school you just have to be careful about. I've had some flight instructors there that had a lot of students and I wanted to fly everyday so I can get my rating done and well they didnt have time for me. But then again this was during hiring boom of the late 90s so yeah it was hard to find an instructor b/c so many were going to the airlines.

The school was great! Grea classes, great teachers at the univ. daytona beach well the town sucks..being from ft. lauderdale i was like..what the hell is this place, nothing to do. Luckily, orlando wasnt too far away. Plenty to do there.

PM me if you want more details. Good Luck

Dominicinco said:

Dude,
If you are going to Texas, and your parents are not really wealthy then you may want to consider Central Texas College/ Tarleton State in Killeen; north of Austin.
Excellent training at a reasonable price.

EMB170Pilot said:
Dude dont be dissing my state! :)

Yeah I agree to a point with steveair. S. Florida is changing but oh well, what are you going to do, its a hot spot to be a real estate is booming down there so.

I went to Riddle and enjoyed it very much! The flight school you just have to be careful about. I've had some flight instructors there that had a lot of students and I wanted to fly everyday so I can get my rating done and well they didnt have time for me. But then again this was during hiring boom of the late 90s so yeah it was hard to find an instructor b/c so many were going to the airlines.

The school was great! Grea classes, great teachers at the univ. daytona beach well the town sucks..being from ft. lauderdale i was like..what the hell is this place, nothing to do. Luckily, orlando wasnt too far away. Plenty to do there.

PM me if you want more details. Good Luck

Great school? Tuition of 135K, Daytona is borring, and now women??? PLEASE!

Latest resources

Back