Flight Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BSAV8R

My son-in-law (yea I know...I should have listened) has about 250 tt with a comm. and inst. and multi. It has been a long time since I pounded the pavement and I know he needs flight time....USCheck, Martinaire....any ideas out there? I flight instructed but he is leaning more toward cargo to build time.

Needs more than 250

Yeah, but he needs 1200 hours for 135 IFR and I believe 500 hours for VFR or SIC. I'd recommend going the CFI route.

“he is leaning more toward cargo” I will never understand why people think they are too good to flight instruct. With those flight times he should look into FedEx, ups or any of the major cargo companies. When he interviews he should just tell them that he is simply way to good to be a CFI and that he is leaning more towards cargo.

He will fit in here……
http://www.gulfstreamacademy.com/home.html

He is still too low time-wise. If he can fly traffic somewhere or instruct for another 250 hours, he might be able to go to Las Vegas to fly tours next year. Recommend looking into the traffic watch gig. Good time builder. Good luck!

I decided not to instruct either... due to money reasons, not because I'm to good. I started hauling skydivers at a busy drop zone in a 206. After a few hundred hours I was put in a 208 caravan. After reaching 600 hours I got my first real gig flying SIC in a DC-3. After that its all been uphill. It is possible to make it with out a CFI, but its not a easy road. If you want the name of some places send me a I.M. Don't let these guys give you any grief for not instructing, can't say I blame him.

If you arent very excited about teaching others to fly...please, do future students a favor and dont become a flight instructor.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm serious. It takes heart to be a good flight instructor. Those who's hearts are not into it are frankly dangerous to their students.

Teaching is not for everyone. So, if its not in the person to do it...dont force it.

Thank you.

What he said...

jackpilot said:
If you arent very excited about teaching others to fly...please, do future students a favor and dont become a flight instructor.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm serious. It takes heart to be a good flight instructor. Those who's hearts are not into it are frankly dangerous to their students.

Teaching is not for everyone. So, if its not in the person to do it...dont force it.

Thank you.

Years ago I started flying search and rescue in c-337s for a volunteer group when I had 300 hours. Then when I had 400 hours I got a job loading Beech 18's and flying the part 91 legs to build time. Then I got checked out at 500 hours as PIC part 135. The rest is history.
All the flight instructors sitting on the couch were telling me there were no jobs and you need more time. Two years later I was flying B727s for a 121 operator and they were still sitting on the couch. If someone bad mouths aviation, they have had a bad career or have made bad choices! I have been laid off twice, furloughed twice, through two mergers, one chapter 11, one strike and have always found another job within a week.
Just look everywhere. Go to the local airports and apply. Keep going back until they hire you. Good luck, it beats working for a living!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back