Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flint4xx

Can you explain the logic here…

FAR 121 and 135 flight time limits the amount of flight hours one can fly while acting as crew. I understand this to be safety related concerns that prompted this regulation so that crews wouldn’t become too tired to fly, and thereby unsafe.

So explain why I can fly myself in my own airplane 3 hours to work and then fly for a 135 or 121 company and my PA28 hours don’t count against me? Or Joe fighter pilot can fly his 2 hour F-16 sortie and get in a 757 and fly 8 hours? I don’t want to hear about how the latter is of National Security interest, it is either safe to fly or it isn’t. You are either fatigued or you aren’t.

The regulation should be consistent. Either all flying is bad, or make it employer specific.

flint4xx said:
The regulation should be consistent. Either all flying is bad, or make it employer specific.

The regulation is very specific and quite consistent. It is limited to commercial flying, in which military flying is exempt.

Who do you know that flies an F16 for two hours and then goes to work as a 121/135 pilot in the same day?

If you want part 91 flying to count towards your flight time limits under 121/135, part 91 flying will not be allowed by 121/135 employers.

Man, this is one area of the regs that is messed up. It even goes as far for 135 companies that you can fly more than 8 or 10 hours depending on crew size. As always, it depends on the FAA inspector and they all have different answers. But our POI says that it is legal if we fly 2 hours to pick-up pax or freight, that it is not considered commercial flying. Then fly them somewhere 8 hours away, then turn around and fly 6 hours part 91 home. So 16 hours of flying 8 of which are commercial. Yes you would be over duty time, but the regs are not that specific and only require attentional rest if you go over.

Everytime we get a new POI, we ask for his take on the regs. Since he is the one that comes in and does the base inspections. Perhaps it also depends on how your company is set up and what it says you have to do in the manual. But we always get POIs that say no manifest required, then you are 91. If the trip cancels when you get there, then you are really charging a cancellation fee, right? He kind of leads us in the right direction I guess.

Be careful out there. Government BS at its finest.

Last edited:
chperplt said:
The regulation is very specific and quite consistent. It is limited to commercial flying, in which military flying is exempt.

Who do you know that flies an F16 for two hours and then goes to work as a 121/135 pilot in the same day?

If you want part 91 flying to count towards your flight time limits under 121/135, part 91 flying will not be allowed by 121/135 employers.

Specific and consistent? I need to read your version of the regs. Explain what "commercial flying" is.

IF the limitation is for safety reasons, the what difference does it make on whose/what type of flying? An F16 pilot CAN if he wants to...or I could fly 20 hours across the country in a 172, and jump into a 747. But you can't for example fly 121 for 29 hours and go teach at the local flight school for 2 hours in one week.(receive compensation) That is inconsistent.

The spirit of the rule was for one company not to overwork its crews, yet it doesn't consider any other possibilites.

I already have a job, thanks.

flint4xx said:
Specific and consistent? I need to read your version of the regs. Explain what "commercial flying" is.

IF the limitation is for safety reasons, the what difference does it make on whose/what type of flying? An F16 pilot CAN if he wants to...or I could fly 20 hours across the country in a 172, and jump into a 747. But you can't for example fly 121 for 29 hours and go teach at the local flight school for 2 hours in one week.(receive compensation) That is inconsistent.

The spirit of the rule was for one company not to overwork its crews, yet it doesn't consider any other possibilites.

I already have a job, thanks.

The regulations are written with safety in mind. In that vein, they have a lot of room for improvement. They are not however inconsistent with their intent. It sounds to me like you want to go fly your 172 for 25 hours each work and then give your employer 5 hours.

The fact is, your company should have specific guidelines on what type of flying you can do outside of work and when you can do it. I think the definition of commercial flying is pretty basic and easy to understand.

If you feel the need to commute to work the day of your trip and are then fatigued, you need to blame yourself and not the regs. If you're fatigued, call in as such.

Sounds like you're an irresponsible person who is looking to big brother to protect you from yourself. Sure, you can fly 24 straight hours in your 172 and then hop into a 747, but what responsible person is going to do that?

The spirit of the regulation wasn't intended to keep people who have no business in front end of a commercial jet from being there. I think they assumed common sense was a given.

chperplt said:
If you feel the need to commute to work the day of your trip and are then fatigued, you need to blame yourself and not the regs. If you're fatigued, call in as such.

Sounds like you're an irresponsible person who is looking to big brother to protect you from yourself. Sure, you can fly 24 straight hours in your 172 and then hop into a 747, but what responsible person is going to do that?

The spirit of the regulation wasn't intended to keep people who have no business in front end of a commercial jet from being there. I think they assumed common sense was a given.

Dude, that is a little harsh don't you think? It was a good spirited question and all question about the regs bring up a lot of different views.

I do agree that the regs are inconsistant. Really, I think they are intended for the most part to keep you from killing other people. The feds probably don't care too much if you just come back from an 8 hour flight in 744 with 400 pax and then go jump in your Skyhawk and crash. They will just say that guy lacked good judgement. Then point out how there was a series of events that caused this crash. However, if you fly 4 hours to work and jump in a 744 and crash and kill 400+, then you will likely be the one who has prompted a change in the regs.

chperplt said:

Huh? What exactly was it intended for, answer man?

Government regulations and common sense in the same quote. You crack me up.

You assume that some of the examples I mentioned actually apply to me, and then you slam me for it. ...Are you still beating your boyfriend?

Soooooo, somebody tell me why it is bad to fly 2 hours as a cfi/charter/airshow/medevac/eng/etc... before/after 29 hours 121 in the same week. Common sense (your words) says that is not a problem, but the regs say it isn't legal, but the same 2 hours in anything military or personal is OK. ...INCONSISTENT.

Apparently you don't know very many airline pilots.

flint4xx said:
Huh? What exactly was it intended for, answer man?

Government regulations and common sense in the same quote. You crack me up.

You assume that some of the examples I mentioned actually apply to me, and then you slam me for it. ...Are you still beating your boyfriend?

Soooooo, somebody tell me why it is bad to fly 2 hours as a cfi/charter/airshow/medevac/eng/etc... before/after 29 hours 121 in the same week. Common sense (your words) says that is not a problem, but the regs say it isn't legal, but the same 2 hours in anything military or personal is OK. ...INCONSISTENT.

Apparently you don't know very many airline pilots.

If you want to bang your fists into your chest and fight something, at least take up a worthy cause.. If fatigue is really your concern, put up a stink about rest requirements. Your arguments on this topic don't hold water.

Nice gay comment by the way. I bet you had to watch Broke Back Mountain a few times before you could come up with that one!!

Learwannabe,

Clearly you don't understand the regulation...where to begin here?

First, the specific regulation under which one is working needs to be applied, as it determines how the 24 hour period in which commecial flying is contained, is calculated. Second, one needs to look at the time period during which other flying takes place, the nature of the other flying, and most importantly, the safety of the situation.

91.13 always applies.

You're talking too many generalities and your comments show too little understanding to specifically address any issue. Rather than carry on about things you apparently don't understand, why don't you get more specific, and see if your questions can be addressed?

I understand the regs completely! They are a vague and anybody who has been around aviation knows that if you ask 3 feds, you will get 3 different answers. Thus, we always ask our POI for clarification, which you will hardly ever get in written form. We know how to exploit every loop hole or at least make sure they don't exploit us.

As far as flight duty time stuff, I will go one step further. I was in ELP one day and happen to be talking to a guy that turned out to be with the ABQ FSDO (never seen feds in jeans before). As this subject came up he pretty much agreed with our and our POIs take on this. He did add, what you can legally do is not always what is safest and that of course you should use good judgement before accepting any flight assignment.

The regs can't make you safe. There is no training for common sense. Cover your butt and be safe.

Once again you have tried to get us off topic AVBUG. Perhaps keep your worthless rants and personal attacks to yourself.

Latest resources

Back