Flight Time for SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RDG

I just checked the SWA website about logging of PIC time and I still have a question. Due to my impending move from the left seat to the right, can I still log PIC time in the eyes of SWA for time I spend as sole manipulator? I am type rated in the plane, and I will still log it in my log book as SIC, but does sole manipulator time count as PIC for SWA as long as you are type rated?

Anyone know how SWA interviewers look at this issue?

Unfortunately, unless you are the captain; unless you sign for the plane, you can't log PIC. If you are the F/O, regardless whether you have the type, it is considered SIC.

from their website:

"Southwest Airlines further allows logging of PIC as follows: For an aircraft requiring a type rating: If both pilots are type rated, the pilot in the left seat and sole manipulator of the controls may log PIC."

wnt2fly4swa said:
from their website:

"Southwest Airlines further allows logging of PIC as follows: For an aircraft requiring a type rating: If both pilots are type rated, the pilot in the left seat and sole manipulator of the controls may log PIC."

That is the part that is confusing me. I would hate to spring for the $200 for an Air, Inc. seminar just to ask one question to a Southwest recruiter, but I would also hate to blow my chance screwing up my resume.

So in the case of two type rated pilots, you can have both logging PIC for Southwest purposes, if it is the FO's leg. Has anyone been hired doing so?

RTFQ

Read The Full Question

"Pilot in command, as defined by FAR PART I is required"

This means the guy who signed for the jet. I am sure there are folks who got hired and used right seat time where they were typed. The log book check is pretty laid back BUT if you get busted, well, you'd be busted. How does your company record the time? What evidence is going to be in front of the log book checker? How credible is it that you were the captain? What is your integrity level?

Personally, I see it as black and white:

FAR Part One time = CAPTAIN

I agree that the rest of the verbage can get a little confusing, but, while they define when the left seater can log PIC, they never define when the right seater can. I wouldn't log PIC from the right unless I was instructing or evaluating. Although while in the left seat with an instructor I would be comfortable loging my sole manipulator time as PIC (because they spell this out).

In the end, keep this in mind: SWA is hiring CAPTAINS. This is where you show you have the experience to be a Captain: I wouldn't strech the truth here.

PS if you meet the mins without cheating - don't sweat it, that is why there are mins

I think the answer is no

I'll give you my $.02 on the subject. My time is mostly all military but I had the same question about logging PIC time as a co-pilot in the DC-10 when I was sole manipulator. Here's what I think they are looking for. If you are not qualified as Capt in the aircraft you cannot log any of that time as PIC whether you are typed or not. I know that you are "qualified" once you get the type, but I mean qualified to fly in the left seat for your company/branch of service, and responsible for operation of the aircraft. I'm sure someone can correct me on this if I'm too far off-base, but like I said, my perspective is mostly military.
All that being said, you can just about lawyer this stuff to death. The bottom line is this-you will be sitting across from a SWA captain during the interview to check your logbook. You don't want ANY questions to arise about your honesty or legitimacy of the time you have claimed on your app. My suggestion to avoid this is to be as conservative as you can, and keep it fairly simple so you don't have to apply the quadratic equation to explain how you came up with your numbers. I'd also make sure that my numbers in my logbook matched what I put on my app. Just be honest, consevative, and simple, and think about being in that seat across from the guy/gal checking your stuff. As long as you are comfortable with that and have a reasonable explanation about what you did, it'll be fine.

Re: I think the answer is no

ETXflyer said:
... Just be honest, consevative, and simple, and think about being in that seat across from the guy/gal checking your stuff. As long as you are comfortable with that and have a reasonable explanation about what you did, it'll be fine.

Could not have said it better my self. Forget everyting else posted...ETXFlyer hit the nail on the head.

End of discussion!

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Unfortunately, that is the same conclusion I came up with. Looks like I will have to wait to upgrade all over again. :(

Thanks Osama.

reepicheep is correct; whoever signs the flight release is the PIC. Period. Even if you're typed I wouldn't risk logging it as PIC when acting as SIC, that could rear up its ugly head in an interview and create doubt in the interviewer's mind of your overall truthfulness.

Latest resources

Back