• Friendliest aviation community on the web
well, when i did my training, i wanted;
-as much twin as possible,
-to keep an handle on expenses,
-to use my VA,
-and be able to fit around my schedule.

for those reasons i chose Ari-Ben Aviator. when i finished i got;
-to use my VA,
-my ratings for 24K (that was a guaranteed price and when all was said and done with the VA, i paid a tad over 10K out-of-pocket)
-just over 200 hours of multi, and i credit the twin time for a big part of being able to find a 135 job at 500TT

no matter which school you chose, you will hear all the negatives, 99% of which are NOT firsthand knowledge (which to me is worthless). best thing you can do is;
-decide what your goals are,
-check out schools that will fit that bill,
-and go for it!

Life begins at 40 . . . but not always in aviation

Take it from someone who knows, starting an aviation career after forty is very tough, if not downright impossible. Research some of my posts about my experiences with starting full-time in my mid-to-late thirties.

Right now, with the glut of qualified pilots and very few jobs, finding work for these well-qualified people is extremely tough. It's almost impossible for even young, low-time pilots just out of school. Age discrimination exists in this business, especially at the regional airlines. Although you can go to the majors without Part 121 regional experience, it helps greatly. Those who do may have thousands of hours of jet PIC flying for corporations or fractionals. Those jobs don't grow on trees.

There is plenty to do in aviation without being an airline pilot. You can fly corporate, freight, 135 charters, or be a career instructor. Case in point: My Chief Instructor at Embry-Riddle was a retired naval officer who took up aviation and became an instructor. Aside from Riddle, he's been a chief instructor at Hawthorne College. I believe he worked in a similar capacity at Comair as well.

Just set realistic goals. In so doing, maybe you can avoid the frustration and heartache that so many older pilot aspirants have experienced.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Vero Beach(FSI)

I just got done the CIME program a few months ago at FSI and I can tell you I have a lot of friends that went to other flight schools and FSI is so far ahead it's not even close.

FSI is the only place you should go if you have the drive and money.

They haveg reat everything.

PM me for more details.

Latest resources

Back