Flight School or fly on my own?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TrevDog

I got my Private Pilot about a month ago and started my commercial training. I have a friend who is doing the same thing. We both want to make a career in Aviation. Doing what, we don't quiet know but just know that we want to fly.

Here is the situation. I'm training with Mesa Airline's pilot program at ASU. And it is great part 141 program they really train you to be an ATP pilot. The thing is that it's expensive like training is. I'm talking with my uncle and he is going to let us use his Piper Comanche to finish our training to CFI. If we did that, we ran some numbers and we would save around $10,000. Mostly because we are splitting the cost of the plane. Now the choice seems obvious I want to save money. Problem is I'll have to drop out of Mesa's program because they don't let you use your own plane, but I'll still take ground school from ASU. I'd have to find an instructor somewhere else.

Here is a link to the price and hours required for the program. It list that it takes 46hr. for pvt. and for me it took 65hr. and from what I've heard that is about average.

http://eastair.east.asu.edu/ECOPYASUEAST_EXCHANGE_08142008-110214.pdf

So my question is, is this really going to hurt me by going on my own and finishing my training. Are employers going to look at my resume and ask why did you drop out of Mesa's program. Or be like oh he got smart and saved some cash.

Everyone's input would be appreciated. :)

No employer ever asked me where I trained. Get your ratings any way you choose. Build your time any way you choose. Get hired through networking with others. Enjoy it all.

Last edited:
No employer ever asked me where I trained. Get your ratings any way you choose. Build your time any way you choose. Get hired through networking with others. Enjoy it all.

ditto. unless you're looking for one of those fast track/guaranteed interview programs with regionals (none of these are in effect now as far as I know), employers don't care where or how you got your ratings in spite of what some 141 school salesman says.

You can put all the money you save towards flight time and you will be 10 times better off.

College CFI training is expensive, highly regimented, and slow(in many cases) but the planes are often new. FBO CFI training is cheaper, often haphazard, and the equipment is all over the map. I trained and worked at both. My opinion is that the best way to do this is at an accelerated FBO with a pay-as-you-go policy. Your biggest problem is finding the right CFI, not the right plane.

I enjoyed the FBO environment far more. Most of my students were well-off engineers and owners. Every once in awhile a killer homebuilt would show up and I'd get a ride. You never know who will come in the door, it could lead to a right-seat job.

Your credibility to future employers is more defined by work history than by your diploma. Its the exact same license. Get some good IMC too. Fuuuunnn!

There are so many different routes to get to the same place. My advice is find the balance between quality and cost.

Cheap or expensive isn't necessarily better or worse.

What you should be looking at is the quality of the training you will be receiving. Make sure your instructor cares about YOU and your abilities and knowledge. Someone that will push you to be a better pilot, not just sign you off to take a ride.

You don't want to be short changed in the wallet or knowledge department. You will be the one in the aircraft solo, you will be the one in the interview solo, you will be the one making the decisions so make sure you were provided all the opportunity to learn and the tools to make the decisions.

Make sure you are having FUN! Enjoy your training, if your not, change something.

Good Luck.

eP.

Long time since I posted here, but If you do the flight school program, I would suggest a credited college so you can get degree to boot. Having a degree allows you to have something to fall back on.

Latest resources

Back