Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

typhoonpilot

Daddy
A friend of mine's son is planning on finishing his ratings starting this fall and the choices right now are Flight Safety in Daytona Beach or Phoenix East. Right now they are leaning towards Flight Safety based on reputation and possible job offers or connections to regional airlines. Any comments or perhaps another school ?

For background this person has a Private and a four year degree from UND, although he elected not to do the flight training there. He's looking at doing instrument, commercial ,CFI, CFII, and Multi. I suggested doing the multi last as a gift for finishing the CFII.

Thanks in advance for constructive replies.

Typhoonpilot

F S I

typhoonpilot said:
A friend of mine's son is planning on finishing his ratings starting this fall and the choices right now are Flight Safety in Daytona Beach or Phoenix East. Right now they are leaning towards Flight Safety based on reputation and possible job offers or connections to regional airlines. Any comments or perhaps another school ?
Do you mean FlightSafety in Vero Beach? Easy choice, from my (biased) perspective.

I instructed for a little more than a year at FSI. The facilities, equipment and training are excellent. Your friend's son might able to have his Private credited toward the excellent Part 141 program at FSI; if not, the place can very much work with him under Part 61. The place costs, but I feel you get what you pay for in terms of value and reputation.

To that end, I know of Phoenix East, but have no direct experience with it. I would say that I've heard less than positive things about it. Try searching the board.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Bobby:

I guess it would be Vero Beach for FSI and Daytona for Phoenix East. Been a long time since I've been to that part of Florida even though I was born in Cocoa Beach.

Still looking for any recent graduates of either school to see their impression.

TP

The fact that you're seriously considering PEA in Daytona is hilarious when you're comparing it to flight safety.

In my opinion, PEA's aircraft are old POS and I wouldn't trust my life to them. The way they quote such low prices is they are quoting the minimum times for 141 in 152's and old 172's.

I've had a few friends who instructed there only because they were the only place hiring at that time...

I would highly suggest he NOT attend phoenix east. Flight Safety is 100x better.

~wheelsup

No one cares...

I don't think I have ever considered hiring a pilot based upon where he obtained his certs and ratings...that is all hype to get you to go to a school. Find an experienced [2000 hour+] CFI and work with him/her. Cockpit knowledge come from experience not some 300hr 141 instructor wonder.

Focus on CFII hours then single pilot IFR experience with a 135 etc. If you are good you will get to FS every 6 months for recurrency training for free...

Latest resources

Back