Flight Physicals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DIAMONDDD

I have read on hear where some of you get your flight phsicals from a Dr. that is an Optometrist. I think I remember someone discussing one in PHX. Could someone confirm this? AND, is this Dr. also an MD.? My wife is an Optometrist and I told her we should look into her becoming a Dr. who can do Flight physicals. Seems like a typical physical could be easy money (I imagine the non-typical ones could be a bear.)
Thanks
DD

I used to get mine from a Doc who was both. He was a MD first, then became Optometrist. My sister works for him and she said that he doesn't do the flight physicals anymore. OK, I just got off the phone with her. She said that the FAA requires some type of computer or software that is quite expensive, and he was only doing about one physical a week. Wasn't worth the investment.

AMEs

An AME has to be either an M.D. or D.O. because your heart, lungs and a certain other place are examined. Optometrists and chiropractors are not trained to examine or treat internal organs or that other place I just mentioned.

Physicians and osteopaths in all manner of specialties become AMEs. My first AME was a forensic psychiatrist. I went to doctors who were ophthalmologists, allergists, internists and cardiologists, and industrial physicians.

Hope that helps some more.

Thanks for the replies.

Are you sure the person wasn't a opthamologist (EYE DOCTOR) which is M.D.? where as an optometrist is not!

Latest resources

Back