• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Options questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, the guys in the polo shirts probably just airlined in to FLL and were doing a dead head somewhere for the next day's live leg.

Thats cool. So i guess that if you are dead heading somewhere the company wont change your schedule at the last minute? Either way thats still pretty cool.

That isn't completely true. It's fairly rare but, during dead legs (in polos) we have been diverted while enroute by dispatch via a message from ATC a couple of times. Fortunately, irons were available at the FBO's both times.

On day 8 they only have to bring you back to Cleveland and you find your own way home. However, sometimes they (if cost effective for them) will airline you out of your town to your aircraft and sometimes they will buy you a ticket home. It's dicey.

Not true. If your tour begins or ends in Cleveland, you're on your own as far as getting there/home. If your tour begins or ends anywhere else, they airline you. I live over 1000 miles from CGF, claim CGF as a domicile, and have been airlined to/from places such as CMH, TOL, and even CAK. Once in the past 18 months I have had to get myself home from CGF. I have pass privileges, so it is not a big deal for me to get myself to/from CGF. I do not recommend anybody WITHOUT such privileges claim CGF as a base unless they live within an easy driving distance.

You find out between 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM Eastern time the night before your tour starts where it will begin. Depending on where you live, you may or may not have time to get to CGF for a flight the following morning. If they have you wheels up at 5:00 AM the next morning out of CGF, best of luck to you getting there on time.

If you are close enough and can tolerate driving to CGF every week, they'll get you a hotel the night before your tour starts. You can risk living somewhere not within driving distance, being CGF domiciled and trying to catch a flight down to CLE at the last minute (probably a VERY expensive flight), but if you don't make it there can be trouble. Seems like those who are domiciled in CLE have been starting their tours there recently. We have people all over the eastern half of the country who claim CLE as their domicile for the extra pay, but without pass priviledges and jumpseat agreements, they've got nay-nays bigger than I. I've got piece of mind knowing I will be flying into and out of my domicile every week. Besides, if I do get lucky enough to sit standby at home, I know it will be in my own home, not in CGF.

There's scheduled shuttle service between CLE Hopkins and CGF during the day. Before or after hours, they'll arrange a taxi or a sedan to transport you between airports.

Last edited:
The 9/6 schedule wasn't an OT day. There was a fancy little formula they used to figure it out, but I don't recall what it was. I think it was about 1.25 times your normal daily rate, or thereabout.

At any rate, I've heard they've done away with the 9/6 schedule now anyway. Two friends of mine were on it and they've since been switched to 8/7.

Extra Days

Working extra is few and far between. If you want to work extra and all of the planets are in line you might get it. As far as the pay, it all depends on your base salary. A 3rd year PIC will make more then a 1st year PIC. I'm not sure how the formula works out, (I will try to pull out the employee manual and let you know).

I'm at 3rd year PIC pay and my last OT day after taxes was around $450.00 not including per deim.

Hope it helps.

I just happen to have the employee manual disk in my computer. Haven't looked at it since I got it in February, but I guess it's time to brush off some of the dust.

An overtime day is derived by taking your monthly rate divided by 16.60, and multiplying that number times 1.5. The more years with the company, the number will increase. In my opinion, for first officers it's not worth losing the day off. For captains it's worth their while. As Joe Jet mentioned, overtime days are few and far between anymore. Hope this helps.....

You also get the same overtime if on your last day going home, that being day 8, you end up getting home after 3A.M. Local time or you end up doing a 16 hour duty day, do to where I live, I have been getting about 1 per month, when I was at Travel Air, I used to always get home before 6 P.M. but at Flight Options, They airline me on the first flight out on day 1 and airline me home on the last possible flight, and I usually end up getting the overtime due to doing a 16 hour day, last rotation I had to airline out of domicile and rent a car and drive home, they missed getting me into my domicile airport. it is not a big deal it happens

Also the company is looking at going to an 8/8 schedule, that would be much better than a 7/7, at least you would not end up having the same days off all of the time with an 8/8 as you would with a 7/7

Latest resources

Back