Flight hours a year to breakeven

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Offsetting costs

Our owner got a 3.0 million $ tax break on the purchase of his airplane. Then put it on a 135 to help offset the costs of ownership. If you are trying to figure out how much it actually costs to own a jet then the best resource is Conklin DeDecker. You can compare operational costs and tailor it to your operation.

By breakeven I'm defining everything. Insurance, hangar, maintenance, loan payments, fuel, pilots, charts. I used a citation sovereign as my research plane.

If you guys are saying it takes 100 hours a month to break even it seems like an impossible business. Why even bother doing it!?

Take capital costs and debt service out of the equation and a DA-2000 MIGHT breakeven at about 600 hrs annually.
As for the 100 hr/month scenario, well on most planes I would imagine that will cause an extra maint. cycle each year which will not only increase costs but add to down time making it even more difficult. There is always a sweet spot where you max on revenue without significantly increasing costs. Usually this is not enough to cover the debt load.
There is a reason you almost never see a 135 certificate holder which "owns" their fleet. Just not economical to do so.

Latest resources

Back