• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Attendant's Gun Goes Off at Philly International Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How in the world does this happen with a revolver? I've yet to see one where the trigger wasn't extremely long and like a 10# pull....

:angryfireUS Airways confirmed that a Republic Airlines flight attendant showed up to work Sunday at Philadelphia International Airport with a loaded gun in her bag that accidentally discharged.
A US Airways spokesperson confirmed that the employee, identified by Philadelphia Police as Jaclyn Luby, 27, headed through airport security at Terminal C around 6:50 a.m. with a gun inside her carry-on bag.
A police officer was called over to check out the gun. That's when it accidentally discharged, the spokesperson told NBC10. The bullet went into a TSA break room where an employee was sitting. No one was injured, police said.
Luby works for Republic, a small regional partner carrier operating flights through US Air. The flight attendant allegedly told police that she forgot the gun was in her bag. Philadelphia Police say she had a legal permit to carry the gun.
Police say that Luby had a license to carry the loaded weapon. Police confiscated the gun and said it was up to the county that issued Luby the permit if she would get the handgun back.
Luby, who hails from West Chester, received a summary citation for disorderly conduct, was taken into custody and released, according to court records.
The female officer who discharged the gun accidentally was placed on desk duty pending investigation, police said.
Police tell NBC10 that about once a month someone shows up to Philly International with a gun accidentally packed in their bags. Earlier this year a Phoenixville man says he forgot he had a loaded gun on him when he went through airport security, a story NBC10 covered.
The plane Luby was supposed to be working on was heading to Dallas, Texas. Another flight attendant was brought on board and the scheduled flight arrived on time, according the airline spokesperson.

who is more stupid - the flight attendant or the female police officer?

This is the revolver:

u6u2ezym.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going to put quite a delay in FA's getting into the KCM program...

This is exactly the reason why F/As shouldn't be included in this program. I've been saying this all along, but the F/As will screw this program up for all of us.

It's a Smith and Wesson Airweight .38.

It's double-action only, no exposed hammer, and the trigger pull is over 5 pounds, so the securing officer would HAVE to have actually either squeezed the trigger or tried to pull the gun out of the suitcase with one finger inside the trigger guard and wrapped around the trigger and it snagged on something.

And yes, I would say this will slow the entry of Flight Attendants into the KCM program. :rolleyes:

Its no joke unfortunately. They were in the works to be included.

I have two Air Weights like that. The trigger pull is significant. No one should be surprised when this gun goes off. The heavy trigger pull is the safety.

I'm always surprised when some police officals that don't seemed to be really trained well in firearms. Obviously there are a ton of regular street officers that know what they are doing....but the drop off is steep.

Right, because a pilot has never before accidently gotten a gun through a security checkpoint like this FA did?

The only newsworthy item here is an incompetent cop who fired the FA weapon, therefore endangering lives.

Right, because a pilot has never before accidently gotten a gun through a security checkpoint like this FA did?

The only newsworthy item here is an incompetent cop who fired the FA weapon, therefore endangering lives.

Agreed. I am far less concerned about an FA carrying a firearm than I am of a cop that can't safely handle a loaded pistol. P.S. I have much greater respect now for TSA managers... They were smart enough to prohibit TSA agents from touching it.:D

Latest resources

Back